Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Our Charlie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Our Charlie

It is with great sorrow that I’m posting this message – we gave little Charlie his wings on Friday, January 25th. He was only 2 years old. He fell asleep in my arms at the vets on Friday night. Colin and I, along with our vet, decided that Charlie had struggled enough with SM. We all miss him terribly as he has been the center of our lives since I brought him home this past October.

For those of you who don’t know about Charlie, he had severe SM symptoms for well over a year before we adopted him in October 2007. According to his veterinary records, he had what most of us would call severe SM symptoms at 5 month of age. Shortly after we brought him home, he had decompression surgery. He improved dramatically for a time, but he still had permanent neurological damage and his pain episodes never went away.

During the past month, he had gradually deteriorated. His pain medicine dose was doubled as we tried to buy him more time for possible healing. But we finally reached the point when we knew we had to give Charlie relief. It was heart wrenching to decide to let him go.

We love you and miss you, little Charley Barley. Heidi and Tasha are with you at the bridge.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm so sorry. Charlie had a wonderful few months with a family that loved him dearly. He is free from pain now and can play at the bridge with all the other beautiful cavaliers.

My thoughts are with you at such a sad time.
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy:

Bless you and Colin and hugs to Geordie, Chocolate and India for sharing your time and love with Charlie and for having the courage to know that it was time to let him go. To me Charlie will forever be the poster "child" for SM. We can only hope that his story motivates people to do and learn more.

Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

I am so sad for you & Colin. You gave Charlie the best care possible during his short time with you. He is free of pain now.
    Charleen and Cav's: Pippin (ruby male), Merry (b&t female), Luke (blenheim male) & Jolly (tri male puppy)

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear it.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry for your loss.
    BK

Post Thanks / Like

Im so sorry, Charlie was so loved by you all and you did your very best for him. Atleast he will be free from all that pain now. Thinking of you all at this very sad time

Post Thanks / Like

Oh God Cathy....I'm so incredibly sorry. I was in tears before I could even start reading your message. Sweetie...know that you did everything possible for Charlie but he just wasn't meant for this world. I am so grateful that you did everything you could for him and gave him so much love in the last few months. Please give Colin a big hug from me and express how much we all appreciated the lengths you all went through to care for Charlie. Rest in peace little love, no more pain.

To me Charlie will forever be the poster "child" for SM. We can only hope that his story motivates people to do and learn more
    Absolutely!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Cathy & Colin, I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved boy Charlie please know that you are in my thoughts and prayers {{{{HUGS}}}}
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hello Cathy and Colin.
    This is really saddening news. I also followed your Charlie, and I really admire what you did for him during these past months. The warmest hugs, thoughts and prayers to you all. Thank you for being there for him.
    Charlotte