Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Paws across the World - Special thoughts for Cavaliers and their friends

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry for the delayed update - it's been a bit of a day

The good news is that Oscar's bandage is off, it looks a bit gory {might post a photo tomorrow for those with strong stomachs...} but he's much more comfortable without it. He is getting about really well with the bucket collar on - it's a clear one so he can see where he is going. He's eating really well - no surprise there with Oscar!! - I'm just having to soak his kibble and not give him anything hard to chew on as that hurts him.

He seems very happy - he was sore last night and quite whiny, but is doing great today

Rupert is doing ok - he was pleased to see me again, once he woke up - he was snoring when I arrived

HIs enzymes still aren't normal but Glasgow vet school have advised us to give him very small amounts of bland food {boiled chicken or white fish and rice}, literally one teaspoon - every few hours. He has started to drink from a bowl again which is great. He isn't intersted in the food, but if you put it in his mouth he swallows it rather than spits it out which is ok.

He lets the vets know when he wants to go out - if they open the door he walks out of the kennel as fast as his little legs can carry him at the moment

He is just a bag of bones now bless him, really hard to see him like this.

If he manages to keep the food down and there is no vomiting or diarrhoea overnight, then they will try removing the drip and we *might* be able to bring him home Paws crossed, but I'm not getting my hopes up too high yet just in case {also because we have exceptionally bad weather forecast for overnight and tomorrow, so we might not even be able to get there due to that }

He will need quite intensive care, so please forgive me in advance if I'm not about very much...

The not so good news is that Cruzy's tummy is away AGAIN

He has EXOCRINE PANCREATIC INSUFFICIENCY- more info here http://www.provet.co.uk/health/diseases/git-epi.htm

which we had managed to get under control with the Pancreatic Enzymes - after about three weeks of unexplained and uncontrollable diarrhoea. He's been ok for about a week, and for some reason, he was slightly loose last night and then I got up this morning to diarrhoea from one end of the kitchen to the other....

He is also extremely skinny now - and quite a worry. SO I will be taking him back to the vet again tomorrow too - weather permitting.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you having a terrible time. Itā€™s bad enough having one dog that is ill, but you are having your hands full. the weather is not going to turn bad.
    Thinking of you and wishing all three a speedy recovery.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We're hoping they'll all get well very soon.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

You poor thing, you've certainly got your hands full right now.
    Here's hoping that all 3 recover very soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Talking

Thank you - the good wishes worked as

RUPERT'S HOME!!!

We're just over the moon, I admit to having been very concerned as to whether we would have him home again , so it is lovely to see him curled up happily asleep in his bed We have put his bed in the sitting room in the puppy pen, so he's in with us but the others can't bother him.

He's very thin - has lost a kilo, so only weighs 9.7kg now - and looks so frail that a strong gust of wind would blow him over.

The most important thing though is that he's still with us.

He is starting to eat - 1tsp of boiled chicken or tinned ID diet every 2-3 hours, and he did actually take that from my fingers just now rather than me having to put it in his mouth, so that's great. He is drinking by himself quite happily, which is why he was allowed home, as he no longer needs the drip. He isn't being sick now, so we hope that will last.

He will have more blood tests in the middle of next week - there is a risk that he could develop diabetes, but we'll worry about that if it happens...

OSCAR

Oscar is doing amazingly well - he actually jumped up at me when I came back - that's good news really, he wouldn't have managed it when he first came here! I think that he is far more comfortable without the eye - I can't believe he's only just undergone that surgery, he is truly amazing. He's also the best I've ever seen with a buster collar - he charges around and doesn't seem worried by it at all - in the past our other dogs have claimed they were unable to walk with theirs on!

CRUZ and TEDDY

Cruzy's tummy is much better today - unfortunately Teddy had a relapse but seems ok this afternoon. We are looking at their diets, and think they are both going to need a low fat diet - although that will bring its own problems as neither of them hold their weight very well.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

That's excellent news Nicki
    Ollie Roxy Bailey

Post Thanks / Like

Such good news . So many different fronts of concerns but sounds like you have it in hand . To you and the pups .
    frecklesmom
    Learning new things everyday

Post Thanks / Like

Such happy news about Rupert. I am so sorry you have had all these medical dramas unfolding at the same time. How stressful and consuming! I hope everyone is doing well very soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Please have Nicki in your thoughts this evening.
    Rupert died today.

Such a wonderful little dog and such a wonderful owner.

Margaret C

Post Thanks / Like

RIP sweet one

So glad to have known you even if it was just through your beautiful face in your photos.
    Davy, SiānE&Ella
    & sometimes Cassie the cocker AKA 'the black shadow''

~Blind Dogs See With Their Hearts♥~
    My cavalier not spoilt...I'm just well trained!