Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are hamburgers okay?!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Are hamburgers okay?!

My mom is the proud owner of a nine month old tri-colored Cavalier named Lewis. I called her yesterady to check-up, and I was horrified to learn that she and Lewis had just returned from their weekly trip to McDonalds. She buys him his own Junior Mac every Sunday!!! Her response to my outrage was, "But he likes hamburgers." I said, "Mom, you cannot feed him hamburgers! Cavaliers are already prone to heart problems." Unfortunately, she is not a woman to be reasoned with.

Sadly, my mom lost her beloved labrador retriever after he escaped her yard and was hit by a car about two years ago. Lewis is the first dog to capture her heart again. I know she would never intentionally hurt him, but the McDonalds hamburgers just do NOT seem like a good idea. Am I overreacting?

Post Thanks / Like

I would try to talk her out of giving her dog the entire burger at least. my dog loves the hamburgers too. I admit to giving her a tiny bite or two, but an entire burger or even 1/2 would make me nervous. good luck it hard to tell moms anything!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vikki View Post
    I would try to talk her out of giving her dog the entire burger at least. my dog loves the hamburgers too. I admit to giving her a tiny bite or two, but an entire burger or even 1/2 would make me nervous. good luck it hard to tell moms anything!!
    Agreed-- try reasoning that a whole hamburger is for a 40-60 pound human (kids meal size) and the poor dog doesn't need to be that big. Too much salt etc... etc.. but a bite or two would probably make his day without jeopardizing his health or giving him an upset stomach.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think McDs are gross and don't eat them myself, but provided he only gets some on a rare occasion, and the volume is not too great, and he is not prone to pancreatitis (which can be triggered by fatty foods) it probably isn't such a shocking thing. I mean, people give their dogs ice cream, potato chips & stuff like that as a treat.

Back in the the old days, before we "knew better" our dogs often lived on table scraps, left over burgers etc and they lived as long as dogs do these days.

I think moderation is the key.

* These are my own thoughts, and not based upon any scientific evidence whatsoever.
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it seems like my boys have the most sensitive stomachs so they would probably get sick if I gave them anything but their dog food. I know that I let my pups stay with my mother-in-law and she didn't think I was telling the truth I guess..or she knew better than a 20 something year old..but anyway, they were sick and the vet took a sample of their poo and looked at it and said they had eaten something that made them sick and to never give them table food and to make sure they don't pick up anything outside..leaves, grass ect.
    April
    Doggie Mom to Bailey (Tri) and Dudley (Blenheim)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

McDs puts minced cooked onions on their burgers, which is extremely toxic to dogs and causes hemolytic anemia.

I recently read in the October 2007 National Geographic magazine:
    Onions - Their damage to canine hemoglobin is cumulative, so small tastes over time can be worse than wolfing down the whole bulb
    Last edited by Cathy Moon; 30th January 2008 at 03:26 AM. Reason: Correction: October 2007, not March 2007
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Cathy Moon View Post
    McDs puts minced cooked onions on their burgers, which is extremely toxic to dogs and causes hemolytic anemia.

I recently read in the March 2007 National Geographic magazine:
    I will give my mother this information right away! Thank you so much.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that the whole burger is a bad idea - When I go to McDonalds, I generally do buy an extra burger, but I usually have 5-6 dogs with me, so they each get a small peice of it, and I only do that about once a month, I never give them the whole thing, and I always make sure they don't put any onions on them (actually, usually I just have them give it to me with out ANYTHING on it! Not only are the onions bad, but they're so high in salt, fat, and is just a disaster waiting to happen!!!!
    Mommy to Amber (B/T female born 09/2003 ) and Starlight (Tri female born 05/2008 )
    Also owned by 2 Italian Greyhounds, 2 Afghans, 3 Sphynx Cats, and 1 Ragdoll cat
    Missing Brandy (Rough Collie), Anabelle (Toy Poodle), and my other furkids across the bridge

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Why not cook some hamburger at home, drain off the fat and give that to the dogs? I regularly make stews with ground beef or just lightly cook ground beef and feed that or mix it with their dry food. Much healthier, doesn't have all the other junk on it, gets rid of the fat (a single fatty meal -- and a McDonalds burger is LOADED with saturated fat -- can trigger lifelong pancreatitis). A McDonalds burger has 280 calories. That would easily be a small cavalier's entire daily caloric needs!!

PS I just added a new article on weight and feeding and treats here:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?p=245842
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

omg the whole burger... that's crazy! Maverick only gets the one or two fries that fall to the floor.
    Mom to Maverick (3-18-07)