• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

helps! sick puppy! :(

Ohhhhhhhh, keeping fingers crossed. Please keep us posted. Will be checking back often for news. judy and dixie

Got the call I had been waiting for... Surgery was performed today in which they removed what she said was part of a plastic hook hangy thing from a dog toy and a small piece of metal along with a some hair. They are going to keep her overnight once again (Night number four) and i should *hopefully* get to bring her home tomorrow afternoon...

They still aren't sure this was causing the problems we were having but we have our fingers crossed that it was.

PPLLLEEAASSSEE watch your puppies! I feel like i watch Piper like a hawk and i missed her swallowing the plastic hooky thing and i feel awful... The metal piece i mentioned to the vet cause about a week ago, i noticed the slinky like wire that holds up her water bottle inside her kennel had been stretched and destroyed by her. I didn't notice anything missing on it but thats not to say that she didnt chew a tiny piece off...

Either way, I'll update when she comes home.

Also, just out of curiosity, from any past experiences, what do vets offer in forms of payment and is it weird that she hasn't mentioned anything about cost to me yet? Im guessing its giong to be in the thousands but wouldn't it be nice of her to give me a heads up? Does anyone know what goes on at the vets office at night? Are there people there to watch and let puppies out to potty?

I'm frustrated and sad.

Oh jeez!! Well, glad she's come out of surgery okay and they've figured out what was going on. You can't beat yourself up about this. If nothing else you know to be super vigilant with her. It was an accident and accidents happen.

Sure hope she's home soon.

I hope she gets to feeling better soon! I'm using your story to emphasize to my family the need to watch what my boys pick up and chew on...I've been ignored to say the least or told that I don't know what I'm talking about :bang:
I hope your puppy has a fast recovery and is back to normal soon!! Keep us posted on her recovery!

thank god!

i am so glad that you found the source of the issue!
it would be a good time to get pet insurance now!
i am sure piper will recover well since he is a young puppy=)

OMG, I'm just catching up on this thread. Poor Piper! I hope she feels much better soon. :hug: :flwr:

I just posted two links to information about Pica (eating non-food items) on another thread. These links provide information on how to deal with Pica, especially the second one:
http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/app...s/picabeh.html

http://www.yukonvet.com/pica.html

It is a serious problem, but can be overcome by managing their environment (keeping things picked up, providing safe toys), not letting them get bored (daily exercise and play, not confining to a crate), and being aware of the many ways the family could accidentally reinforce the unwanted behavior.

I have found that we have to ask the price of things at the vet, usually I say, "Can you give me a rough idea of how much this will cost?", and the vet is very willing to discuss it.

Oh my goodness, what a shock! Thank goodness you got onto it!

Also, just out of curiosity, from any past experiences, what do vets offer in forms of payment and is it weird that she hasn't mentioned anything about cost to me yet?

My vet never bothers to tell me what something will cost. I guess I always hope that if it is going to be outrageous he will at least warn me. If you are worried, I can't see that there would be anything wrong with asking the vet for a balance to date, so that you have time to prepare financnes if necessary. I am sure they would rather this than have you at the last minue announce that you can not come up with the funds. If it does turn out to be something quite outrageous, perhaps they haved a system where you can pay the bill off weekly.

Does anyone know what goes on at the vets office at night? Are there people there to watch and let puppies out to potty?

This varies from vet to vet. I guess the very large veterinary hospitals with a large staff may have overnight care, but with the smaller ones it is probably unlikely. I know how you feel! We live in a country area and our veterinary practices are quite small. Recently I had to leave Sam in overnight and I knew he was there alone. I found it very distressing, but as he was sick, I had no option. I'd love to be able to say something comforting. Again, you could ask the vets what happens at night. It may turn out you need not feel so badly about this.

I am sorry you and yours are having a bad time. I hope Piper will be home and well really soon.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts! i have brought Piper home and I'm going to post another thread with the details. Also, my vet did mention something about the overnight doctor or tech so I was glad to know that someone was there with them.

Also, about the price, I never did end up asking and I was assuming it was going to be a few thousand at best. I was pleasantly surprised to hear only 1,200.00 especially as she was there overnight five nights.

What a relief to hear Piper is home. I'll look for your new thread. :hug: to you, your family and Piper.

Back