Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: helps! sick puppy! :(

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness! I hope everything goes well with Piper! Keep us posted!
    April
    Doggie Mom to Bailey (Tri) and Dudley (Blenheim)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

poor piper...i hope everything works out and she gets better soon!
    Kristy & Chuck Married since May 15, 2004!
    Proud Parents to Cassie 13, Kailey 12, C.J. 8, Kristopher 7
    Carly (Blenheim) Born 11/22/12! R.I.P. Chloe (Blenheim) 4/24/08~3/9/2009!

Post Thanks / Like

Ohhhhhhhh, keeping fingers crossed. Please keep us posted. Will be checking back often for news. judy and dixie

Post Thanks / Like

Poor lamb we've got everything crossed here for Piper

Post Thanks / Like

Got the call I had been waiting for... Surgery was performed today in which they removed what she said was part of a plastic hook hangy thing from a dog toy and a small piece of metal along with a some hair. They are going to keep her overnight once again (Night number four) and i should *hopefully* get to bring her home tomorrow afternoon...

They still aren't sure this was causing the problems we were having but we have our fingers crossed that it was.

PPLLLEEAASSSEE watch your puppies! I feel like i watch Piper like a hawk and i missed her swallowing the plastic hooky thing and i feel awful... The metal piece i mentioned to the vet cause about a week ago, i noticed the slinky like wire that holds up her water bottle inside her kennel had been stretched and destroyed by her. I didn't notice anything missing on it but thats not to say that she didnt chew a tiny piece off...

Either way, I'll update when she comes home.

Also, just out of curiosity, from any past experiences, what do vets offer in forms of payment and is it weird that she hasn't mentioned anything about cost to me yet? Im guessing its giong to be in the thousands but wouldn't it be nice of her to give me a heads up? Does anyone know what goes on at the vets office at night? Are there people there to watch and let puppies out to potty?

I'm frustrated and sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh jeez!! Well, glad she's come out of surgery okay and they've figured out what was going on. You can't beat yourself up about this. If nothing else you know to be super vigilant with her. It was an accident and accidents happen.

Sure hope she's home soon.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I hope she gets to feeling better soon! I'm using your story to emphasize to my family the need to watch what my boys pick up and chew on...I've been ignored to say the least or told that I don't know what I'm talking about
    I hope your puppy has a fast recovery and is back to normal soon!! Keep us posted on her recovery!
    April
    Doggie Mom to Bailey (Tri) and Dudley (Blenheim)

Post Thanks / Like

Default thank god!

i am so glad that you found the source of the issue!
    it would be a good time to get pet insurance now!
    i am sure piper will recover well since he is a young puppy=)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

OMG, I'm just catching up on this thread. Poor Piper! I hope she feels much better soon.

I just posted two links to information about Pica (eating non-food items) on another thread. These links provide information on how to deal with Pica, especially the second one:
    http://www.usask.ca/wcvm/herdmed/app...s/picabeh.html

http://www.yukonvet.com/pica.html

It is a serious problem, but can be overcome by managing their environment (keeping things picked up, providing safe toys), not letting them get bored (daily exercise and play, not confining to a crate), and being aware of the many ways the family could accidentally reinforce the unwanted behavior.

I have found that we have to ask the price of things at the vet, usually I say, "Can you give me a rough idea of how much this will cost?", and the vet is very willing to discuss it.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

*Hugs* Hope Piper gets well soon.