Thread: Millie - Gone but not forgotten

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Millie - Gone but not forgotten

Yesterday my childhood love crossed the rainbow bridge after a long battle with cancer Millie lived across the street from the elementry school I went to, I'd often go over and play with her as I was growing up. Millie was a pound puppy, her breed is a mystery - There was some cocker in there somewhere, but who knows what else. Millie lived a good long life - 23 years old! And even at that age, she was very active still! Her owner asked me to go with on that final trip since she knew how much Millie ment to me, I've always been the one to take care of Millie when they left town over the years, and even with her leg swollen from the cancer, she as all over the car on the way to the vet. But her quality of life was starting to slip, we knew it was time to end her suffering before she got any worse. Now she's running free, she'll never know pain or suffering again!!!! I'm sure going to miss that spunky little dog!
    Mommy to Amber (B/T female born 09/2003 ) and Starlight (Tri female born 05/2008 )
    Also owned by 2 Italian Greyhounds, 2 Afghans, 3 Sphynx Cats, and 1 Ragdoll cat
    Missing Brandy (Rough Collie), Anabelle (Toy Poodle), and my other furkids across the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

What a long and lovely life Millie had!! How kind of you to be with her at the end. Run wild and free Millie.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry that you had to say goodbye to Millie, but what a long life she had!!! That is amazing!! It was so touching that you went with her on her final journey here on earth. What a great friend she had in you.
    Lynn
    Momma to Molly (blen) Maxwell (tri) Nora (blen) and 2 kitties

Ohhh yeah...and 2 human (20 & 21 yr old) "children"

Post Thanks / Like

She was really an amazing dog! I've enjoyed growing up around her all these years, it's hitting me harder then I thought it would, probably because the last few months have been difficult, not only have I lost one of my own babies (she was stollen when my roomate let her out to go potty back in November and, so far, we've been unable to find her), my mom's dog also passed away, along with one of my rescue dogs, and now Millie. Then again, I've also had Amber come into my home in that time, and I must admit, she has made life much easier for me. She's such a comfort to have around.

I can't help but wonder how much longer Millie would have had if they had chosen to amputate her leg, but at her age, I completly understand why they chose not to. She was in great health otherwise, and even though no signs of it where found anywhere else, from experience I know that doesn't mean it wouldn't have spread to her lungs or elsewhere after amputation. I know they made the right choice, I also wonder that, if she hadn't gotten cancer, how many more years Millie would have been around - 23 is an impressive age for any dog, I've never met another dog that age that was still so active and full of life, then again, I've never known Millie any other way! She was a very special dog!
    Mommy to Amber (B/T female born 09/2003 ) and Starlight (Tri female born 05/2008 )
    Also owned by 2 Italian Greyhounds, 2 Afghans, 3 Sphynx Cats, and 1 Ragdoll cat
    Missing Brandy (Rough Collie), Anabelle (Toy Poodle), and my other furkids across the bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Bless her, she's playing in the sunshine now having fun, what a great age she lived till just shows how well she was cared for and loved, take care l know it's a sad time

Post Thanks / Like

What a Wonderful Life this little dog must have had I am so sorry
    ---Aileen and the gang (Barney--Jazzie---Sam)
    Cavaliers at the bridge Mattie and Rocky& Sam
    Better to light a candle for one lost dog than to curse the darkness of man's indifference.Saving just one dog won't change the world but it surely will change the world for that one dog.