• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eyes being flushed

Harvey's Mum

My vet has told me that Rudi will need to have his eyes flushed when he is olde enough, as they are very wet all the time, I was just wondering if anyone elses cavvy has had this done and what to expect.

Anna (Mum of Harvey & Rudi)

I wonder whether he means that some dye will be put into his eyes. If the tear ducts are clear, the colour comes out of the dog's nose. Izzy had this done, as he always had tear stained patches under his eyes.

Hi Barbara,
Phoebe has pinky staining and slightly gungy stuff below her inner eye. I bathe them every so often and they don't bother her at all. The vet said it was quite normal and nothing to worry about. Was Izzy ok after he had his eyes flushed or did the vet discover that the ducts were blocked?

Rudi's eyes are very runny, the vet has been keeping his eye on them since I got him in October. They have not improved and are very wet all the time. the vet never mentioned anything about any dye being put in his eyes, he just said when we have him neutered he will repair a small hernia and also flush his eyes. He seems sure that the tear ducts are blocked, but I will ask him about the dye next time I go. Thanks Barbara

Anna (Mum of Harvey & Rudi)

Izzy's ducts were fine. he just had very large eyes, so they were easily irritated and his tears just happened to stain. His eyes never seemed sore (ie the cornea wasn't red ) and none of the commercial cleaning potions worked, so I cleaned with warm bolied water, on kitchen roll (never cotton wool ) and tried with kitchen roll.

One product I did see recommended ,in dog magazines, by people with white coated dogs was Eye Envy. It was at the time only produced in a tiny container, where the postage was more than the cost of the product (HUB International stock it), so I decided not to bother. This item is illegal in UK show rings.

Cessa gets "eye snot". It doesn't seem to bother her. I just take a warm damp cloth every morning and wipe under her eyes.

I don't think for a minute that Phoebe's eyes are bothering her, it just looks a bit grotty. I bathe them with warm water, which she just puts up with. I tried a product called Diamond Eyes,.... but only once! It smelt absolutely ghastly (a wierd pungent chemical smell) and I can't honestly believe that rubbing something that smelt that awful on your dogs face would do her any good at all. The bottle went in the bin after the first application.
Phoebe's breeder advised me that her eyes might get a bit sticky when she is teething, so I'm hoping that the staining might be less obvious when she is out of the teething stage.
Pheobe's mum:)

Back