• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Shedding

Halina

When I first received Hali she shed her puppy coat but since then she has not shed at all? Am I lucky to have a cavalier who will not shed to much throughout her life or is this just because she is young.:xfngr:

How old is she now?

I thought Bella was shedding her puppy coat but because she is 11 weeks old I've thought it was weather related (heat specifically).

Could it be that it is cold where you are and she needs her full coat?

No they will shed! Some have lighter coats than others -- I have two with heavy coats who shed a LOT and two with lighter slow-growing coats who don't shed as much but they still shed. It will probably really take til your dog is at least a year for lots of shedding to start -- she is probably going to blow her coat again at that age as well. Tris and B&Ts tend to have the heaviest coats and often thus shed the most but I have a blenheim who sheds quite a bit. Also dogs in warmer climates will usually shed a lot more too. Never fear, the hair tumbleweeds will arrive eventually.

Our tri definitely sheds more than our Blenheims ever did, but I wondered if it was because the big clumps of black hair showed up on the carpet more- despite regular grooming!

rubys mom

ruby my blenheim sheds all the time sometimes not so much then other days its allover just got used to it now shes always had a thick coat though but hay my daughters shed all over too long hairs alover the place in our house ha ha:p

furminator

i use furminator on my cocker.
but you have be careful not to pull too hard or brush too hard.

Every Cavalier should come with a Dyson as part if his at home care kit :D My guys shed, all the time! I vaccum 2 - 3 times per week & I need to empty the barrel several times per vaccum. I am considering going into the mattress stuffing business.

Hi
Daisy who has just passed her first birthday has started developing quite a thicker and more curly coat, prior to this she had a smother shorter coat and possibly with her being a blenheim i may noticed this more than when it must have happened to My Great Big Hairy monster aka Poppy who is a tri and has developed qiute a very heavy coat .In a previous post the phrase "blown" was used is this what it means when cavs basically change from a puppy coat to an adults, the other question please the brushes that i use are treated by all of them as play items so as soon as i go to brush or even comb them they immediately all go into play mode and all bounce up and down and grab the plaything in their in mouth and then begins a game of tug of war ,is there a secret method that people use to keep their cavs still while they still while you brush and comb them or is it just calm persistance.And whats a furminator ? is that spelt right.

Never fear, the hair tumbleweeds will arrive eventually.[/QUOTE]

Ha Ha! I have them everywhere in my house no matter how much I hoover...I think they hide and come out again when I've put the hoover away...!

I'm lucky, Amber doesn't shed much but I think alot of that is that I got her about 4 months after she whelped her last litter, so her coat is still growing back. I've got my Dyson ready!

icon_whistling I hope your Dyson is enjoying his rest, because soon he will be working his backside off. Anyway, I reckon those Cavalier tumbleweeds are sentient. When we are vacuuming they hide under fridges, behind cupboards and in darkened corners. Once the Dyson has been put away, they roll out to mock us and declare that they will never be conquered.
:v*cuum::v*cuum::v*cuum:

Hi
I recently ask you kind of some questions about blowing of coat and just generally what occurs to my girls coats when they reach about 12 months ,so far nobody has replied apart from two supersilious comments about dysons,Very disappointed in response ,some times ithink if people have got nothing to say its best saying nothing! :mad:

My girls 'blow coat' after they've been in season or had pups.. It usually is in response to the change in hormones. A change in coat can also be caused by dryness in the air, stress, age, lack of nutrient, illness etc.... There is really no way someone could tell you if 'your' 12 month old is blowing coat due to loss of puppy coat.
NO - none of my one year olds just sheds its coats because they are one. It has been frigid here and the only dog I have without a full coat is the mom of 10 week old pups.

Brian, people don't always see posts -- they quickly move to the bottom of the page on days when there are a lot of posts -- and I am sure people are only having a friendly laugh, not being 'supercilious'! If you have a question it is always worth using the 'search' function first -- we have had so many dozens of threads of shedding and losing puppy coats over time on the board, so there almost always already is a whole range of replies that can be viewed. It's also often the case that when a question has been asked a lot of times, fewer people bother to reply or reply seriously. So taking a moment to use the search function usually will get lots of answers and save the time of typing in a question. (y)

I do have a Dyson and comb her every day.

Just on grooming -- combing a puppy every day is kind of a lot at least to my mind. Having just had a dog through rescue that was nearly put down due to fear aggression developed entirely due to overgrooming by his owner (who insisted he had to be groomed daily because he was an indoor dog), and having heard of many more cases as a result, of dogs with just the same type of fear aggression due to grooming, I'm now cautioning people when I home rescue dogs about grooming too frequently. Combs really can pull at their skin and slicker brushes also can be really uncomfortable -- so while it is a good idea to groom regularly, just be sure it isn't overdoing it and that great care is taken to ensure grooming is always pleasurable.

I'm interested that you note what you do about slickers, Karlin. From being tiny, Holly has always ALWAYS hated slicker brushes. In fact, the one and only time that she actually snapped at me was when I was trying to get her used to a slicker. I think it's a combination of the feel of it, and also the rasping sound- Holly tends to be jumpy with noises. She's absolutely fine with a soft brush or a pin brush, and will tolerate a comb. Amber will tolerate anything, although she has been known to give the slicker a dirty look or two..

I just bought this brush at Petco http://tinyurl.com/2dukse
and really like it. The tips are coated and it has a really nice weight to it. This is what I use to get out mats (and then I use a greyhound comb like this http://tinyurl.com/25yxt6
) to work out the smaller mats. I use a Mason Pearson for distributing the oils and make them fluffy. Neither of mine will tolerate a slicker :cool:

I brushed the boys several times since their baths last week, including just before we took them to town yesterday. In a car with black interior. They may not LOOK like they're shedding... but they are. :eek:

Back