Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two puppies- is it insane?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Two puppies- is it insane?

Hello,

I've just joined having lurked about for several weeks. I'd like some straight talking advice on raising two puppies a once. Do you think its an unwise thing to do? Has anyone gone down this road and could you let me know about your experience, good or bad. I haven't commited to this yet and if I go ahead it won't happen until the end of May at the earliest. As the percentage rate of dogs killed in pounds here in the Limerick region is frightening my conscience tells me I should try to rescue ( I've downloaded Karin's adoption application form) and then maybe introduce a puppy at a later date. I'd appreciate any feedback. Many Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I think it would be quite a bit harder to train and house train two pups. I was advised to space them out a bit.

Karlin explains it very well here:

http://board.cavaliertalk.com/showthread.php?t=10549
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks pauline,

The link was great, very informative. I guess I have alot of thinking to do! It will be alot of work, I'm very unsettled about the whole notion which isn't like me, I usually make a decision and stick to it!

I appreciate the help.

Post Thanks / Like

You can always wait just a year between pups. Really one pup will keep you more than happy and busy.
    Dylan, Poppy & Kipling's
    *''' ' "*Mummy`` "*'
    ,'*" "*'

Post Thanks / Like

People have said that it's a joy to watch two puppies play together, but the danger is that they may prefer eachother's to their human's company. In the main , training two is more difficult than one eg watching two little speed machines for signs of wanting to toilet.

I had my younger two, Joly and Teddy, 6 months appart, after a gap of 2 years between Monty and Izzy. I would not choose so small a gap again, as Joly went backwards with his toilet and other training. Also, when they matured , we had some problems with rivalry, both being same sex and of similar age.

Having said this , others have found two puppies an enjoyable experience. I wouldn't have two so close again, but two adults would be a different matter and rescues do struggle more to place pairs together, som perhaps this would be a good route for you to take ?
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

We had two cavalier puppies at once, and we were working with a very good dog trainer while they were pups. She basically had us doing everything that was listed on the link Pauline posted. It was a huge amount of work and commitment, yet I mostly enjoyed it. All of my free time was spent on my pups - I didn't have a laptop at home or know about CavTalk then, so my time was dedicated to my cavs.

India grew up to be a therapy dog and 'cavalier ambassador' who loves everyone she meets, including other animals. Geordie grew up to be an agility dog; we attended competition level agility classes for nearly 2 years (it was a fun group) where he excelled and we did a few run thrus, but never really competed. They have always been best buds, but are not overly attached to each other. And they are very obedient and loving towards us.

If you have the time and commitment, it may be enjoyable to have two pups at once. It's a lot of work, and it helps if there are two adults to share the load.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Im raising two cavalier-pups .The older was 7 months when we got the younger one (she was 10 weeks)..To us it was no problem but of cause the older one was housetrained and had finished a puppyclass too.
    To tell you the truth,it was a lot easier to housetrain number two since she seemed to learn from the older one.Also things like craddle training,sit,down and other commands have been a piece of cake to teach the wee one.
    I have heard other people say too,that raising two cavaliers in the same time is not a big deal,but many other breeds can cause problems this way...
    My two girls love each other but they certainly both prefer the company of me or other familymembers.(the older will cry in the window when I leave the house even though the rest of the family and her "sister" is home.)

We hava no regrets whatsoever
    Best wishes from Islandicas Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

I should add though that both my girls are very laidback, easygoing and calm cavaliers.It might be a different story if you get 1 or 2 hyperactive pups
    Best wishes from Islandicas Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

I think I'd recommend one at a time. For all the reasons mentioned. That being said, I had a litter of 9 puppies once. However, I wasn't really training them. I think you really need one on one to do obedience work as well (just leash manners, come, etc.). I know someone who got littermates and she said she'd never do it again.

Post Thanks / Like

We took two puppies from the same litter. The intention was to get just the one that we had reserved but when my husband saw the 'runt' of the litter, he fell in love with her and brought her home as well. They are now 12 months and gorgeous little darlings. We have found that while they enjoy each other's company they adore our company and constantly follow me round the house all the time waiting for an opportunity to climb into my lap. They don't like to part with any of us, and cry if anyone leaves the house.
    Toilet training has not been easy, but I can't say whether it would have been easier with just the one puppy.
    The two are completely different characters and that's such a joy to watch and experience. Maija is the more quiet and sensible one, whereas Hermie is such a little happy-go-lucky character and makes us laugh all the time.
    Leaving them at home is easier as they have each other for company and leaving them in the kitchen for the night has never been a problem as they are not alone.
    It has been a lot of work though, and still is, and training them is harder when there are two, but on the other hand they are so lovely
    Eeva
    and Maija and Hermione