Thread: Scooting bum

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scooting bum

Rio has been doing this lately, not all the time just occassionally. He hasn't got worms as he has been wormed under 2 weeks ago.....could it be his anal glands? How would I know if they needed emptying? (not that I would attempt it myself!)
    Proud to be owned by Ashton and Rio

Post Thanks / Like

It could be a sign that the anal glands need emptying. I think they can also get a nasty smell. Have you noticed this? Your vet would empty the glands for him and check him over. I've heard that feeding a good quality dry food can help prevent it and even adding some bran (the type for dogs and horses) can help. I think most dogs get this at some point. I'm sure he'll be sorted soon. It does make me laugh when I see them scooting though!!

Post Thanks / Like

Some dogs scoot anyway, using the carpet as toilet paper. Sometimes you can tell if there's anal gland trouble by holding a pad of kitchen or toilet paper over the area. If there is a fluid stain or the dog is uncomfortable, then the gland s are very likely to be the problem.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shippers View Post
    I've heard that feeding a good quality dry food can help prevent it and even adding some bran (the type for dogs and horses) can help. I think most dogs get this at some point.
    Ditto
    Quote Originally Posted by shippers View Post
    It does make me laugh when I see them scooting though!!
    Ditto that one too!
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

Ashton has never done this. Rio has been doing it at odd times i.e not when he has just been to the toilet....
    Proud to be owned by Ashton and Rio

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If not worms or anal gland problems, check his bottom to make sure he doesn't have some dry poo on it. My Sonny occasionally gets dirty bot and then like Barbara said, he will use the carpet as toilet paper

I have read that it is also a Cavalier breed trait. Charming!
    ~ Sam, Sonny & Beau ~