• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help... Diarrhea

Tobiko

My puppy is eating Royal Canin mini for a couple of months now and he seems to be doing ok for the first month (his stools is a little soft but not diarrhea). Until recently, he has diarrhea on and off 4-5 days at a time and it would stop for a couple of days then came back again. He still eating and drinking well.
I took him to the vet and they didn't find anything major, they gave him antibiotics and some Fortiflora to put in his food for a week. During the treatment the diarrhea was gone. A couple days later diarrhea came back, not as bad as last time, just soft, sometimes pudding and he's very gassy.
I am not sure if I should switch the food or not, if so... what do you guys recommend? Also, I have been reading about the allergies so I suspect wheat allegie. would that be possible?

Let me know what I should do.... :(
Thanks

I would take him back to the vet immediately with an entire stool sample. The vet should be looking for Clostridium, Coccidia, Giardia, etc. in addition to parasites. Ask them to do a gram stain. (This is what my vet told me.)

If nothing is found, the vet may need to send a sample to a lab for a culture, and it may take up to 2 weeks for a Clostridium diagnosis. If it's Clostridium, the vet might prescribe Tylan for your pup. We found that was the only medicine that would cure it.

In the meantime, you might want to feed your pup boiled white rice and boiled, cut up chicken or even baby food chicken (if it is 100% chicken and broth), a 50-50 mixture. I wouldn't feed a pup that ill with normal dog food.

Later you may want to switch to California Natural dog food, which helps with the allergies.

Sorry to hear about your pup - I think Cathy has covered everything here - well done Cathy :) but just to reiterate it's not normal for a pup to do this, and is not good for him, you do need to get it sorted.

If he has continual diarrhoea he could dehydrate very quickly and that can be fatal if left untreated.

Back