• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Solid Gold Seameal

wildandcrazyguys

Hey everyone! I was just wondering if there was anyone in this group that has given their pup Solid Gold Seameal? My breeder told me to give this to my pup since we got him back in November. She said it would help with my blenheim's nose fill in. Does it not fill in on it's own? I was just thinking about it and thought I would see if anyone else was using it. THANKS!
April, Bailey and Dudley

She said it would help with my blenheim's nose fill in.

Wah???
confused2.gif
If she is referring the pigment that comes into a puppies nose as he grows up, then that is 100% genetics and nothing else. Man I can not believe some of the rubbish that some breeders come out with.

If I have misunderstood the question, then please accept my apologies.

She told me that it has kelp in it and that helps the pigment fill it in. Does it not? I think you got the question right.

I'd be most intrigued to see the source that shows scientific evidence that kelp helps the pigment in a puppy come in.

Lots of people love loading themselves and their dogs up with multi-vitamins. Hey if the human or the animal is deficient in certain vitamins, minerals & trace elements then yeah maybe there are benefits.

What really gets up my nose though is the extraordinary claims that people make about these products. The bottom line is that in most countries the makers of multi-vitamins do not have to prove their claims. I can mow the grass in my backyard, call it Caraline's Miracle Formula and then provided I have met the health standards to ensure that no humans get sick from it because of unsanitary productioni (probably no such law if it is for pet consumption), then I can laugh all the way to the bank when everybody buys my product.

Hey, I am not saying this Solid Gold Seameal doesn't have any benefits. It just bugs me that these claims can be made without any scientific evidence.

Last edited:
Well, here's something else I was told to give my pups..it's called K-9 Showstopper. They were getting it when they were pups but we ran out of it and everytime I went to order some more it was on backorder so they haven't been given it in over a month. Have you heard anything about it?

Haven't heard of that one.

Hey April. I apologise for coming on so strong about the Solid Gold Seameal. The truth is, lots of people use multivitamins. It is just one of my passions that I believe a wholesome diet means we don't need that stuff. There is even a very respected canine nutrition web site that plugs loads of vitamins (& advertising their own brand of course). It is very popular and people flock to it in droves. It just gets steam fuming out of my ears, but if it makes people feel good & as though they are doing wonders for their dog, that why not I guess.

So, ignore me :) I am sure others who have used these products will give you a less passionate verbal about it.

Thanks for the info! I was just sitting here wondering what in the world I was giving my pups and I thought I would see what info I could find out about it. They are being fed really good dog food...or so I think, it's Nature's Variety Lamb and Brown Rice. And I'm hoping to get some of the RAW diet that the brand offers when I can get near a store that sells it...it's at least 80 miles from any stores that have it.

Seameal is a good supplement but definitely doesn't have anything to do with filling in nose pigment. I used to give it but once I switched to raw I stopped....they don't really need it. I give a little pumpkin and a powdered probiotic with their food.

Some suppliers will ship, but that gets things pretty expensive with raw usually as it is heavy.

I can;t imagine how kelp or anything in it would affect pigment but you do read all sorts of claims and beliefs for all sorts of things. I tend to be a skeptic along the lines of Caraline :lol: and on a more serious note, adding supplements willy nilly can actually cause problems, and one supplement can cancel out the effect of another or a needed nutrient in the food... it can get fairly complex. On the flip side I think there are some supplements that have useful ingredients that can address certain problems or deficiencies.

The thing is, dog foods have many of these things in them already these days.

I like giving fish oils to the dogs for the same reason people take them -- but I don't take them that often myself because I like to eat fish and try to get the oily fish in my diet. :)

The placebo effect in dog owners has been documented -- if owners think their dog is getting a supplement that is claimed to offer certain benefits, they will often 'see' those benefits.

On noses: most puppy noses do fill in anyway so if you are giving kelp to cause this, you could just as well argue drinking water makes their noses fill in, as that is another regular occurrence. In other words determining cause and effect requires careful documentation and double blind testing, otherwise you cannot gauge how likely a certain effect is likely to happen anyway.

Back