Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update on Bianca

Post Thanks / Like

Default Update on Bianca

As some of you have inquired as to how Bianca is doing (quick update; she was diagnosed with moderate SM at age 7-8 months-I had elected to have her undergo decompression surgery at age 1 year, 2 months-this was the first week in November). It has been over 15 weeks and she is really doing well! Before surgery, she was scratching a few times a day, and progressing to a 'bunny hop' on walks. She never had any yelping.

Post-operatively she is off all medication (including Gabapentin) with only a couple of brief scratching episodes (seconds) per day; she has completely stopped her 'bunny walk' and for all who see her--appears clinically quite normal! Of course there is the possibility of scar tissue coming back but I do think we and our neurologist are pleased so far at the outcome. I hope that this will enable her to live a quality pain-free life for as long as possible.

She is back up to completely full activity and is her usual 'full- of-beans' self! I almost hated posting this after what happened to poor Charlie, but I did want to give positive encouragement that I feel a very positive outcome may be possible if you catch the signs early and intervene. It's a great tribute to Karlin and this board that we were able to recognize the signs of SM and act quickly. I know that no one can predict the future, but we're stopping to smell the roses right now!

Barkleigh Bianca’s mom and dad

Post Thanks / Like

Awwww Natalie....always happy to hear good news. So glad Bianca is back to "smelling the roses". I think Bianca is a perfect example of what the outcome of surgery can be if performed early enough. So glad you were proactive!!

It's a great tribute to Karlin and this board that we were able to recognize the signs of SM and act quickly
    You said it Natalie!!!
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Natalie. I think it is important for everyone to know that there can be a positive outcome. I think Charlie is at the Bridge looking down and cheering on Bianca.
    Phyllis in West Virginia USA with two Clumbers and a Cavalier Named Buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you for the update on Bianca. Good news to hear that her SM surgery was successful in her case.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great news - it's good to hear sucess stories like this one, as it gives people a blanced viewpoint when they are faced with these decisions.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

All stories are important and I know everyone enjoys a happy ending. The key thing for you is that you were able to act early when you could think through options and what was right for you. It is really lovely to get an update and hear that she is doing so well. She really is doing very well to be off gabapentin etc; that's fantastic!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Great news I'm pleased Bianca is doing well

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wonderful news, Natalie. I'm so glad you noticed her symptoms early and acted quickly to stop the progression. She's a lovely girl, and she's so fortunate to have a guardian who looks out for her.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

So glad you posted this update on Bianca! It's wonderful that she is doing so well. And kudos to you and Mike for your proactive approach in having the surgery done so early. May Bianca life be filled with sweetness and roses.
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

That is the best news Natalie. Miss B has had a remarkable recovery. I hope her story gives encouragement to others.
    Sharon,
    Mom to Bleinham Cavaliers Lily, 5 years old, and Alfie, 8 year old puppy mill rescue.
    At the Bridge, Chloe, Lhasa Apso.