• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Update on Bianca

natalieandmike

As some of you have inquired as to how Bianca is doing (quick update; she was diagnosed with moderate SM at age 7-8 months-I had elected to have her undergo decompression surgery at age 1 year, 2 months-this was the first week in November). It has been over 15 weeks and she is really doing well! Before surgery, she was scratching a few times a day, and progressing to a 'bunny hop' on walks. She never had any yelping.

Post-operatively she is off all medication (including Gabapentin) with only a couple of brief scratching episodes (seconds) per day; she has completely stopped her 'bunny walk' and for all who see her--appears clinically quite normal! Of course there is the possibility of scar tissue coming back but I do think we and our neurologist are pleased so far at the outcome. I hope that this will enable her to live a quality pain-free life for as long as possible.

She is back up to completely full activity and is her usual 'full- of-beans' self! I almost hated posting this after what happened to poor Charlie, but I did want to give positive encouragement that I feel a very positive outcome may be possible if you catch the signs early and intervene. It's a great tribute to Karlin and this board that we were able to recognize the signs of SM and act quickly. I know that no one can predict the future, but we're stopping to smell the roses right now!

2182357181_cd01ed7fd2.jpg

Awwww Natalie....always happy to hear good news. So glad Bianca is back to "smelling the roses". I think Bianca is a perfect example of what the outcome of surgery can be if performed early enough. So glad you were proactive!!

It's a great tribute to Karlin and this board that we were able to recognize the signs of SM and act quickly

You said it Natalie!!!

Thanks, Natalie. I think it is important for everyone to know that there can be a positive outcome. I think Charlie is at the Bridge looking down and cheering on Bianca.

Thank you for the update on Bianca. Good news to hear that her SM surgery was successful in her case.

That's great news - it's good to hear sucess stories like this one, as it gives people a blanced viewpoint when they are faced with these decisions.

All stories are important and I know everyone enjoys a happy ending. :) The key thing for you is that you were able to act early when you could think through options and what was right for you. :flwr: It is really lovely to get an update and hear that she is doing so well. She really is doing very well to be off gabapentin etc; that's fantastic!

Wonderful news, Natalie. I'm so glad you noticed her symptoms early and acted quickly to stop the progression. She's a lovely girl, and she's so fortunate to have a guardian who looks out for her. :flwr:

So glad you posted this update on Bianca! It's wonderful that she is doing so well. And kudos to you and Mike for your proactive approach in having the surgery done so early. May Bianca life be filled with sweetness and roses.

That is the best news Natalie. Miss B has had a remarkable recovery. I hope her story gives encouragement to others.

Hey Natalie :) I've been meaning to send you a PM to ask specifically how Miss B is doing lately. I'm so glad to hear that things are going well and you are pleased with the outcome :)

Is she still doing her model photo shoot next month? :flwr:

LOL, we're waiting to hear! (it's actually a 'runway fashion show' for people and dogs to support our local animal shelter). Completely insane, but fun.:rolleyes:

Hooray! I am so glad to hear that Bianca is doing so well after her surgery! You must feel very relieved that it all went so well. :)

Rory sends his love and as a bit of encouragement to others - he is now over 2 years post-op and still doing awesome! :D

Back