• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Piper's home!

aperfectsonnettt

I got to bring Piper home on Sunday afternoon and for the most part she seems to be doing really well.. She had exploratory surgery on Friday I believe it was.. They sent her home with Previcox, S-Adenosyl and Metronidazole. One is strictly for her liver as there was a problem there. They also sent home some cans of perscription Hills dog food and also some Hills Kibble as well. I expected Piper to be somewhat sick or have diarrhea for awhile due to the sudden change in food however, the first poop back home was NOT what I had expected. It SHOT OUT of her lil cavalier butt like a hose and went a good foot or two before landing in a nice liquid pile on the ground! It was terrifying and hilarious at the same time. Her poor face looked SO confused and I'm sure that had to hurt! I immediately called the vet to see if that was normal and her next poo's have been a lot better so I'm not worried. I'm sure it was an after surgery-i haven't eaten in days-i'm pumped full of medicine- kind of poo!

I haven't dealt with many dog surgeries other than Veda's spay but Piper is acting strangly hyper for having just had tummy surgery.. She is also barking and yipping like crazy in her kennel and she never made a peep in her kennel before. Do you think this is due to pain or the anesthesia or maybe just because she was probably stuck in a kennel for six days in a row at the vet? I feel like the only way I can keep her from jumping all over the place is her kennel but she starts yippin away and before long i have an angry neighbor knocking on my wall!

grrr!

Anyway, I decided to post this suuuuuuuuper cute picture of the two girls about a month ago!

Thanks guys!

208.jpg

I am pleased to hear that Piper is home. Poor little thing has been through a lot. You are going to have to keep a close eye on her and don't be embarrassed to ring your vet if anything feels wrong.

Is her kennel outside? If so I'd definitely keep her inside with you. I am a bit of a softie who believes that dogs should be inside the home with their human family as routine. But for a dog that has been so profoundly sick, outside is no place for her to be.

Cute photo! :)

Is her kennel outside? If so I'd definitely keep her inside with you. I am a bit of a softie who believes that dogs should be inside the home with their human family as routine. But for a dog that has been so profoundly sick, outside is no place for her to be.

Cute photo! :)

Her Kennel is most definately NOT outside as I live in Fargo, North Dakota and it's nowhere near warm here. Even if it was, I'm a softie as well and the dogs are a part of the family that deserves next to me on the couch watching a movie!

Will definitely be keeping an eye on her!

Try her with some toys to keep her busy -- like a kong with some kibble wedged inside. Be sure to ignore the barking -- if you even respond with a 'no' that can just encourage it. I am glad Piper is home and back with you! Hope she heals quickly now.

Glad that Piper is back home safely - try to assocatie good things with her kennel - so give her her meals and treats in there, put her favourite blankets in etc. maybe put her in for a few minutes, then take her out for a while ONLY when she's quiet, then put her in again, so she knows she's not going to be stuck in there all the time.

put a blanket over it to make it more like a den.

Otherwise perhaps set up a puppy pen - so she isn't running mad but she might be happier?

Glad that Piper is back home safely - try to assocatie good things with her kennel - so give her her meals and treats in there, put her favourite blankets in etc. maybe put her in for a few minutes, then take her out for a while ONLY when she's quiet, then put her in again, so she knows she's not going to be stuck in there all the time.

put a blanket over it to make it more like a den.

Otherwise perhaps set up a puppy pen - so she isn't running mad but she might be happier?

She has always (aside from the first week or so of bringing her home and kennel training) been nearly silent in her kennel so I'm not even entirely sure its the kennel. I think it's just her. She's just... I don't know, loopy and what seems to be a different dog. I'm not even sure she knows her name anymore..?! (I'm not entirely serious there.) Her energy level has sky rocketted and she seems to be out of control and wanting to jump as high as she can as often as she can.

Did the switch cute little ruby cavalier puppies at the vets office? Brought home a stranger?!?! ha

adding to the barking in her kennel and her general disobedience (not coming when called, etc.) she also peed in her kennel which, even as a newly brought home puppy, has only done once...

this is strange. hopefully she just went nuts from being gone from home or all the medicine she is on or possibly she got used to being in a kennel for six days and maybe wasn't let out at proper times, who knows?

It could be that they didn't let her out as often as they could have. You might just have a couple of weeks where you need to go back to basic with her toilet training. She may also be a bit stressed/hyper from all that has happened. She may even be picking up on some anxiety from you... which under the circumstances is understandable. Also, perhaps if she felt unwell for a long time, maybe now that the problem has been rectified, she just wants to party.

Just be patient with her. Go back to some of the basic and hopefully over the next week or so she will settle back into her routine.

that's some really good advice and I thought of that too but I also worried there was damage somewhere during surgery that either affected her emotionally or affected her memory. But I'm a naturally paranoid dog mom as well.

to add in, she peed on the floor twice within one hour after my post last night, once while she was walking accross the floor. Scared she doesn't even know she is going.

I'm sure its just the medicine and everything she has been through kickin' in and I'll try not to worry too much!

Thanks!

As far as the barking in kennel goes, think she picked that up from other pups at vets and just needs to get reacquainted with "home rules". Figure she was there for 6 days and it will take at least that to change the "learned behavior".

Back