• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Dudley and MVD

SuperDudley

I was just notified yesterday that Dudley, my 7 year old Blenheim, has a mild case of MVD. I'm picking up his medicine from the vets office today.

I am very hopeful for him, and his vet sounded pretty optimistic as far as how long he could live with his current condition. I just know I'm going to proceed as usual, that is, treat him like every day is his last day and give him lots of hugs and kisses.

I have been reading through some of the previous posts and it looks as if I should be supplementing his diet with Vitamin E and fish oil. Could someone please advise as to how much of each I should be giving. Do I give them at the same time or one in the morning, one in the evening? Any help or advice would be extremely appreciated.

Izzy had a significant murmur at that age (I suspect that, as others have found, my vet new before this but didn't mention, saying his heart was 'good for a cavalier'), which progressed to a very bad one a year later. However, even at this level, he had two years of good quality life, until he died , aged almost 10 , last March. From diagnosis onwards, I vowed, as advised, to treat him as normal. I thought a shorter normal life very much better than a short one with restrictions. Only for his last year, when breathing could be compromised, I stopped group walks and din't encourage strangers to visit, as he was never happy with strangers in the house.

A week after I found out about Izzy, I was told that Monty, then 8, had, like your dog, a very mild murmur. It is only now,(He's 12 plus), that he is showing slight signs (a single morning cough) and I've opted for early medication. Otherwise he is absolutely fine and his murmur is still only 4/5.

It's upsetting when you first learn, but you come to accept it, so treat your dog as normal and don't wish his life away by assuming each is his last, because, unless you are very very unlucky, you have years together, yet.

Neither Izzy, nor Monty have been given any supplement for the heart, but they used to have Vitapet all, along with the younger dogs. Nowadays, I prefer fish skins, because they give oil for the coat (Monty's is really glossy) and clean the teeth.

Izzy had a significant murmur at that age (I suspect that, as others have found, my vet new before this but didn't mention, saying his heart was 'good for a cavalier'), which progressed to a very bad one a year later. However, even at this level, he had two years of good quality life, until he died , aged almost 10 , last March. From diagnosis onwards, I vowed, as advised, to treat him as normal. I thought a shorter normal life very much better than a short one with restrictions. Only for his last year, when breathing could be compromised, I stopped group walks and din't encourage strangers to visit, as he was never happy with strangers in the house.

A week after I found out about Izzy, I was told that Monty, then 8, had, like your dog, a very mild murmur. It is only now,(He's 12 plus), that he is showing slight signs (a single morning cough) and I've opted for early medication. Otherwise he is absolutely fine and his murmur is still only 4/5.

It's upsetting when you first learn, but you come to accept it, so treat your dog as normal and don't wish his life away by assuming each is his last, because, unless you are very very unlucky, you have years together, yet.

Neither Izzy, nor Monty have been given any supplement for the heart, but they used to have Vitapet all, along with the younger dogs. Nowadays, I prefer fish skins, because they give oil for the coat (Monty's is really glossy) and clean the teeth.

Thank you very much. You have given me a lot of hope for Dudley. I'm trying to approach it positively with the attitude that he is going to have a teriffic life regardless if he lives another year or five years.

My 9.5 yr old rescue Lucy has a grade 5/6 with no signs, on no meds and is having a ball of a time! :)
Her life before coming to us when rescued a year ago, was the hardest you could ever imagine, crated outside in all weathers and used just for breeding.

I guess each dog is different but I hope this gives you some hope for your little one. Take each day as it comes and enjoy him to the full.

Alison.

Back