Thread: Snorting

Post Thanks / Like

Default Snorting

I am forever reading and trying to learn EVERYTHING about my cavalier and I read that small dogs and cavaliers "snort" when excited? What does that mean?
    Cavaliers give us a little piece of heaven.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It means they reverse sneeze ...... I think its because they have a soft palette
    Kirsty
    Merlin and Oakleys Mum (Merlin -Male/B&T/5 years, Oakley - Male/Ruby/3.5years)

Post Thanks / Like

You can make a similar sound by pressing your tongue to the roof of your mouth and making an inbreath snort.

Some cavaliers also 'talk' in out brething snorts. Izzy used to.
    Barbara, Monty, Joly and Teddy.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for letting me know. If she starts snorting I will at least know she is OK, I just couldn't understand what it was.
    Cavaliers give us a little piece of heaven.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Well I have first hand experience of a snorter and the expression is the only way to describe it is they sound like a little pig. It's really funny, when we got Bella and took her to the vets to check her over she was snorting away when she was breathing and sniffing the floor and so the vet gave her antibiotics in case she had a chest infection but she didn't and has never stopped snorting. It's very strange but brings some smiles to peoples faces as she snorts her way around the house and through the leaves....
    Emma and Renco Harvey & Bella's mum & dad

Post Thanks / Like

Default rubys mom

always gives me a little smile when ruby dose this she dose it when we take her out sniffing the grass at least i know she near me carnt mistake her little squirky sounds

Post Thanks / Like

sometimes our Willow goes rigid when he snorts. As though he cannot get a breath.

Our solution is a hand over his nose. After a couple of seconds it seems to sort itself out.
    Tarmac used to do this too.

Guinness and Bailey will snort but not usually to this extent.
    Simon and Shirley
    Guinness (12yr Tri) - Willow (2 1/2yr Ruby) - Bailey (1 3/4yr Blein) -Tarmac (departed B&T was 10yr)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, our Vet reccommended we do likewise and it really works. It can become distressing for some dogs if left unchecked they say.