• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vomiting

SamT

Hi,

My puppy Sam is vomiting at the moment, once last night and once during the night. This can happen now and again. He never vomits more than twice. Im new to being a dog owner and I was wondering what would cause this? Im worried I could be over feeding him. He gets about 3/4 of a cup (big cup you get with the food) of Royal Canin every day. He is not given anything else apart from the odd puppy biscuit during training.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Emma
:dogwlk:

Last edited:
When do you feed him ? If you feed him in one go you may be better splitting his meals up so he has smaller meals.

He could be hungry, my dogs used to do this when puppies early morning if they were hungry ?

If you feed him at night and he is vomiting close after feed time then obviously he is not hungry but may be too full which is why you need to split up meals ? Or does he drink a lot of water after his meal ? this could be the cause or does he eat too quick ???

Many many reasons, depends on how close to mealtimes the vomiting occurs and what exactly you have fed him and at what times ?

Even though he may only vomit twice at a time still monitor very closely as puppies can dehydrate very quickly or get sicker very quick Is he alert and responsive as normal soon after ?

All good questions above. How old is he as well?

If he is vomiting regularly you should really talk to your vets though. Generally you can just call and ask if he needs to be brought in. My vets (Anicare in Dublin) will always advise when I have questions on whether a dog or cat needs to be seen, or they will tell me what to do or watch for at home.

It isn't normal for a puppy to be vomiting regularly. Every now and then, generally i won;t be an issue, but there could be a lot of causes from eating too fast, too much, eating things he shouldn't, some underlying illness, etc.

Vomiting - reply

Hi,

Thanks for the replies.

I feed his 3 times a day. He is 4 months old. He eats really fast. If he gets sick it is usually after his evening meal. Its happened about 4 times since we got him. We live in the country and there is all sorts of things in the garden and unfortunately other dogs can get in and out. Sam finds things in the garden to eat that he shouldnt be eating. I dont think he drinks too much water.

Yesterday he wasnt himself and then he got sick, after this he just went to sleep. He got sick again during the night. This morning he slept till 9.30. I fed him a little food mixed with some rice this morning and at lunch. He is grand now jumping around chasing our other puppy who is 2 months!! The joys!!

if he gets sick again I'll call the vet.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Emma

Hi Emma

Following your last post, yeah I would be getting the vet to take a look at him. He should have water available all the time, so I would not be worrying about him drinking too much.

unfortunately other dogs can get in and out.

This bit really worried me. Are you talking about your dogs or dogs from outside? If you meant the latter, then I would be very concerned for your puppy's wellbeing. Is he in a situation where other dogs could come in & hurt him?

Do you have any books on caring & raising a puppy? If not I would strongly recommend you get some, as it is a very big responsibility raising a puppy and there are just so many things they can get into causing them harm.

Back