• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Food

Lexie in CA

I am wondering if it's a good idea to have different foods for the dog or if it's better to stick with one kind. I just want Lexie to have the best and wondering if I should switch it up for her every so often. Thanks for all the help. :)

Most of what I've heard is that it's good to alternate foods. I couldn't do that because Jake had such a sensitive stomach since day one that all he could tolerate was a particular brand of kibble. Now that they are both eating raw I do rotate protein sources.

I also feed raw, but if you're going to go with kibble, it is good to rotate foods - But also at the same time, try to rotate through different protein sources :) Before I switched to raw, I alternated between Canidae, Nature's Variety Praire, Innova EVO, Blackwood, and Wellness.

Thanks. Lexie loves her food, but I want her to have the very best. I will definitely look into buying some different protein sources for her.

Just wondered if any of our European members have heard of a Swedish company called Husse who operate a franchise here in Ireland selling pure organic dog food which has been certified as being totally free of any colours or additives of any kind? I believe they deliver free in Ireland, but have not yet met anyone who has used it. Their website: www.husse.ie also has a resident Vet who will answer any pet questions for free. They sell online and by freephone. Just in case anyone is interested, or indeed if anyone has tried them and would like to give members some info.

I think variety is the spice of life :) My guys now get raw & they get heaps of variety. When I used to feed kibble I would always have several different brands in the pantry. I just always felt that if one brand was a little lacking in something, hopefully the other brand would not be.

I am not sure if I am remembering this correctly.... somebody correct me if I am wrong... but I think I've heard that dogs that are only ever fed the same food over & over again are more prone to allergies & pancreatitis, than dogs that have been given variety. Not totally sure about that one?

I have found one they all love, and I'm sticking

I have been feeding "Orijen" Puppy & Adult formulas (depending on the age of your dog) after doing tons of research on foods. My dogs LOVE it! It is a very high quality, high protein dry food that I top with NUPRO supplement powder & water to make a gravy. You can buy it at pet specialty shops or online.

From what I've read, you can switch foods without a problem, and I have never had a problem, as long as you're staying with similar quality foods. However, now that I have found Orijen, I don't think I will be switching again for a while. Their poops are really nice and well formed, and their skin and coat are amazingly shiny and soft- more so than with any other food.

Back