• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Royal Canin cavalier food?

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Someone just mentioned that Petstop in Blanchardstown is carrying a new cavalier food by Royal Canin (in their breed line). He says they told him it was just launched last week and they only had small bags at the moment.

Has anyone else seen this?

Ok I have found it on some retail websites but not on the RC UK website!

http://www.royalcanin.co.uk/your_dog/pure_breed.aspx

royal_canin_cavalier-king-charles.jpg

They list it on their French home site though:

http://www.royalcanin.fr/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=224&Itemid=521

I can't find it in anything but the small size on retail sites. :(

Hey Karlin, that is great!!

Do you have any word on exactly what makes it "cavalier food?" Special vitamin formulation, fat content, protein percent, etc?

From what I have heard and read, RC is a GREAT food! I'd be interested in learning more about it :flwr:

Yep! I picked up a small bag at Newlands Garden Center, which has a nicly stocked pet section. Hadn't seen it before and fed it to mine mixed with their usual. They've had it a few days now and I have to say they love it, it's small kibble and short of tasting it myself it looks moist and meaty.

Max is a fussy, slow eater gobbled it up and even when some spilled on the floor he hoovered it up very quickly.

The small bag 1.5 KG was a little bit expensive tho at 11.99Euro but there was a promotion of Buy One Get One Free.

It says that it has reinforced cardiac function to help maintain healty cardiac funtion due to appropriate content in terms of magnesium, sodium, potassium, arginine, EPA & DHA, taurine, L_Carnitine and antiodixdants, Vit E & C, green tea and grape polyphenols. (LIP protein selected for its very high assimilation).
And the shape of the kibble is specially for the brachycephalic jaw - (Just reading the front of bag)

I'm happy with it and will buy it in a large bag for economy's sake.

Last edited:
and short of tasting it myself

oh go on! :lol:

Thanks for that info -- sounds very good! I am wondering if they are trialing it first in small bags to see if there's a response. The large bags are far more economical so I hope they will do it.

Hi Karlin

I got some of this 10 days ago from a pet store in Newry and Rosie loves it.

It's £7.99 for 1.5kg (the only size they do at the moment) but it was bogof and that offer is on until the end of the month - going back later on this week to get some more:D.

If anyone wants me to get some for them, let me know.

Hi
Not being any expert on deciphering the nutrition content does it look any good ,and it happens to come out just as i have got my three onto Burns ,so what should i do stay with Burns or if RC looks good swop over again.

Most nutritionists say it is good to move dogs around on foods -- no food is ever perfect for the whole lifespan of a dog. I change flavours or brands every bag or so. Mine never need to be changed over to anything -- they eat whatever is in front of them! I think very few dogs actually need to be transitioned between foods. I would just feed what you have and try this one next if you feel like it. These are all good quality foods. There are so many quality options at a range of prices and with different features that there's no need to be overly concerned about feeding one thing or another. I rotate them to give a range of nutrition and also fed some homecooked and some occasional raw. If my dogs had a choice they'd simply raid the trash every day. :lol:

Lots of people say that you should not change food, once your dog is settled, but mine would go on strike, if they didn't get a change (Izzy was the worst for this and wouldn't eat beyond half way down a 3kg sack). However, I'm lucky in that mine rarely get a tummy upset (worst was when Teddy got hold of three fishskin rolls). I change between flavours on well known brands and now and then to tins of Butchers or other with Burgess' mixer, which has no additives. Very occasionally they have meat, if I buy too much minced beef or too many chicken breasts, for instance.

Interestingly, I've never read a nutritionist who thinks a dog should be fed only one thing! :lol: Nor cats, in particular, as they will get stuck on a single food and refuse to eat anything else. Unlike dogs, if a cat stops eating for more than a couple of days their health can be at serious risk. I rotate all my dogs' and cats' food -- they rarely get the same meal more than two days in a row. If humans are not supposed to eat one thing day after day, why should dogs? Until the post WWII commercial petfood industry developed, all pets were always fed a range of foods so they are easily capable of switching foods around unless someone has only ever fed them one -- in which case they do get stuck on the one food.

And as with kids I find that if you ignore finicky eaters they have a tendency to stop being finicky pretty fast. :lol:

Hi
Is it ok then to change the girls food on a fairly regular basis from say Burns to RC then Origen i was always lead to believe you cant do that cos it gives them upset tummies .
ps Dawn and i had a few words the other night and i said to her you can sleep downstairs on the sofa, just before she said ", after two nights in the lounge with the girls "she mumbled" i am coming back up i cant stand the bloody snoring from them three to which i replied well you could of left them upstairs with me as there was plenty of room on the bed. :p

I talked to an Irish RC distributor today who said they only got the CKCS food in January and it immediately sold out too. They were only offered small bags by RC so presumably RC were first trying the market. I am waiting to hear when they will get more in then I will try it (once I get through my current JWB supply!)

On changing foods -- I've never had a dog get an upset stomach from changing around foods. Personally I think that type of issue or refusing food is more psychological -- a dog fed all the time on the same food is often reluctant to eat anything else and upset by change.

But given the wide range of things most people give their dog -- treats, scraps, the dog getting into the trash... :rolleyes:... I just don't buy that for most dogs, suddenly a new food in their dish is going to shock them into stomach upset.

For a dog that GENUINELY has sensitive bowel and problems with different foods than definitely be cautious in changing foods.

That's my own opinion though!

My dogs have always had a variety of foods & i've never done the gradual change over thats reccomended either. Not had any problems.

there is a voucher in your dog for royal canin

The majority of experinced cavalier people I've met have insisted that changing isn't good. I always felt in the minority for changing about, though a well known breeder, in the same circles, does change hers.

There is a very limited amount of RC Cavalier in the UK at the moment - a breeder friend of mine has been asked to trial it and report back, so I guess it might not be available for a while yet unfortunately.

Mine had a sample of the Shih Tzu food and did like that...they normally have mini adult, and I swop between that and James Wellbeloved which I actually prefer - I don't really like the preservatives in Royal Canin.

I would be interested in trying this but although my boys liked RC Mini adult I always felt their poo wasn't firm enough. I like Burns for this reason, they have nice firm poops now and seems to enjoy the 50/50 mix of venison and brown rice with fish and brown rice.

Not sure firm poops is a reliable measure of a food's quality. Manufacturers can just add certain types of binders that make poops firmer. I remember reading this on some ingredients article somewhere and of course cannot remember where.

It may be coincidental but whilst they have been on burns we haven't had any boot scoot boogies either.

This is an exceprt from the burns site about their food "There are no chemical additives. This minimises the amount of waste matter which the body has to eliminate. When metabolised, carbohydrate produces less harmful toxic waste than protein and fat."

Perhaps thats the reason for firmer poops - there is not as much being excreted as the higher quality food more is utilised so there is less to come out.

I remember when I first got Merlin I fed him on Bakers (I know!) his poop was never firm and was very wiffy! totally different from now:)

I have just tried Max on the free sample from the Swedish company Husse who have a franchise here in Ireland and have to say he loved it. He is also displaying a far better stool and less frequently than when on his usual food. Their food is divided into categories for different sized dogs, depending on the level of activity, age etc. They do an organic variety as well and claim that no preservatives, or any additives or colours are added to any of their foods. For more info, you can peruse their site on www.husse.ie. All orders over €25 are free and they are happy to send free samples which I think is a fair one. If any of you have tried this food, please let me know your opinions.
I decided to try this company following an animal nutritionist's advise, as he said it was one of the most natural, all round balanced and healthy commercial dog foods he could reccommend. Another reason is because I had become concerned about the amount of unneccessary additives in dog food, or worse still the ones which are not even listed on the pack. The source of the food also worried me, so I decided to do a little research. The Husse site also has a Vet who will answer any health questions without charge and very promptly too. All views with regard to the site would be welcome.

Back