• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Royal Canin cavalier food?

Bought it at the weekend - thanks for the tip about Petstop in COrk Karlin (although they didn't seem to have any JWB there) - anyway Cleo LOVES it, is now almost not eating the Hills kibble mixed in with the RC Cav kibble. - I say almost, she wolfs down the Cav food and then leave the rest for a few mins, finds us looks appeallingly at us and dains to go back and finish the Hills!

:lol: Typical Cavalier, voting with her tummy!! :lol:

Yes just saw it in the orchard in Celbridge but didn't buy it cos it had Poultry in it. That's chicken right??!!

Yes usually and Pippin has a very severe allergy to actual chicken or any kind of poultry but is fine on this food and they Love It!

I have called around and no one stocks it, probably because there just aren't that many cavaliers around here to make it worth their while. I am going to see if I can order some on line.

Yes usually and Pippin has a very severe allergy to actual chicken or any kind of poultry but is fine on this food and they Love It!

Oh dear, I introduced this food gradually and since sunday last they are on full cav food Unfortunatly they have started to do fairly soft (pippins is very soft) poos and have started scooting as it is sticking to their butt area ..Yuck.. I spent last night cleaning bums!

Think I may have to go back to the old reliable RC mini light and just serve it with veg as it does keep their weight down but doesn't seem to fill Pippin. Then again nothing seems to fill Pippin, if I put a whole bag down he'd probably finish it:)

PS. They haven't been eating anything else so I can only put it down to the change in food.

Last edited:
Not too soft yesterday and no dirty bums.. so I'll give it another couple of days. Checked the ingredients of cav 27 and mini light and the only difference seems to be cav 27 has tomato and egg powder in it and the rice and maise amounts are different,more rice in the cav 27...would these subtle changes really make a difference?

Protein???

I checked out the RC Canadian website and it doesn't look like it is available in Canada and there's no indication it will be.

I'm curious about the protein content people mentioned. Is high protein a concern when it comes to Cavaliers?

Asked advice from the guy in the pet shop ...he's very good and has always advised well.. He said their stomachs may just take a little while getting used to the change but they should be fine..but he said it may be the protein that the need to adjust to. The poops seem a bit firmer again today.

Bought ten packs fromt he half price offer someone suggested on this thread and thankfully my dogs LOVE it. My cat has never eaten dried food and I gave her a bit and she too LOVED it. Wonder if their is something similiar for cats? She has ALWAYS turned her nose up to dry food so this was a real shock and she even keeps sniffing around the cupboard its in. Any suggestions?

I ordered this food from a petshop in Duleek they got it in today, I am going to buy two 1.5kg bags to start with not sure how long the are going to last as it will only be bailey eating it, holly has to eat cd for the rest of her life to keep away the cystitis/struvites!

Bought ten packs fromt he half price offer someone suggested on this thread and thankfully my dogs LOVE it. My cat has never eaten dried food and I gave her a bit and she too LOVED it. Wonder if their is something similiar for cats? She has ALWAYS turned her nose up to dry food so this was a real shock and she even keeps sniffing around the cupboard its in. Any suggestions?

BTW I also have a cat called Fifi and she is very much Queen of the castle;)

Royal Canin do cat food and also breed specific cat food - i saw RC siamese and persian food yesterday in Pets At Home

I'm currently changing mine (dogs) over to Royal Canin mini junior and adult and its going down well, (its currently on buy one get one free or 3 for 2 in PAH but they didnt have the breed specific food in stock)
Both my cats eat IAMS and will eat the dog food if given the chance. I once caught Fifi putting her paw through the puppy's crate and stealing puppy food

Thanks for that I will look for Queen Fifi - at the moment she is chomping away at the dogs food whenever she can! She has her normal food but for a treat I have been giving her some and she LOVES it!

Niki - Must be something to do with cats named Fifi! lol

Last edited:
Back