• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

any experts out there on drying food

luvzcavs

I am looking to purchase a food dryer / dehydrater to make some treats for the boys. I am wondering how to go about the process and what do the items turn out like ?
I would mainly use sweet potato, carrot, apple maybe banana ?
Does anyone have experience with this and is there a difference between a dryer and dehydrater ? :)

I have dehydrated fruit for the boys (and me)..I had a dehyrdrator don't know if there is a difference..I would usually slice them into some water with fruit fresh in it to keep it from browning too much..I would do apples, bananas, nectarines and plums..it's been awhile since I've done any but I would try to slice them about the same size..cut out any bruises..my lab loved apples and nectarines..*G*

I haven't tried it yet, but am definely gonna.

Have seen instructions for making your own, and am going to make a version of that.

Basically a container, with some venting at the top - i.e. some holes.
A low heat source at the bottom - i.e. a light bulb
Something to put the food on - like a cooker shelf.
The instructions I saw was for a cardboard box lined with kitchen foil. I think that i will try a plastic storage container as it will be easy to clean.

I am really interested in drying out meat. Not quite raw but without much of the damage of normal cooking - for weekend and walkies treats.
I have seen recipies with minced meat. Make your own jerky.:D

Back