• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Monty has a heart murmur

Nisha

When i got home yesterday i noticed that Monty's eye looked absolutely awful and gunky so i took him to the vet..and it turns out he has got a massive ulcer on his eye, anyway they thought about surgery but instead gave me antibiotics, drops, oral medication and eye oinment for him....while i was waiting the vet thought of having a quick listen to his heart and apparently Monty has a heart murmur :(! She didnt tell me anything about it yet as she wanted to get the eye sorted out first then she would discuss the murmur....so im totally in the dark about how bad it is etc and am sooooooooo unbelievably worried...i mean he's only 2 year 2 months...is it normal to get one this early? i have no idea what the implications of this are or anything...

I'm sorry to hear about Monty's eye and his heart! On the heart -- I'd have that confirmed by a cardiologist first off --vets sometimes hear murmurs that are not there and that would indeed be a very young age for a murmur.

If it is a murmur then I'd definitely want to keep a close eye on it. If it is there, it is an early onset murmur, and they have greater risk of worsening than late onset murmurs according to cardiologist reports on which the MVD protocol was based, so you'd want to be on top of the various treatment approaches, maybe consider supplements, etc. At the same time some dogs get these and they never change much over the dog's normal lifespan.

I'd ring the vet and just ask about what she thinks the grade is and what to do next. But I'd definitely not take the vet's word on an early onset murmur -- I would have her or another vet listen in a few months to see if they still hear anything and then if so, see a cardiologist.

There are a number of links in the Library section with details on MVD.

I've had a similar situation with my Harry, he was at the vet for something else and they picked it up, I was devastated as he was only 2 and half at the time and i envisaged he would not see his next birthday. I had to wait for a week to get in with a cardiologist to have him properly graded and get my questions answered. That weeks was spent mostly in tears and was hell.
Nothing can take the not knowing away and that is one of the worst parts so my advice would be get an appointment with a cardiologist asap as once you have the answers you can start to deal with things.

Harry is now 5 and still does not know anything is wrong with him, in fact he still thinks he is a puppy :luv:.
You like me having twins from the same litter (I think ?) may feel concern for your other baby aswell so if you can have the cardiologist have a listen to him too while at the appt this will save you worrying about this down the track and needing another appt maybe?

It'll be alright, the positive thing about finding it so young is you can make certain lifestyle changes (if needed) and keep on top of all the symptoms before they become a problem.
If you need to chat feel free to pm :hug::hug::hug:for you and the boys:flwr:

All good advice. (y)

The other important thing is to be sure to inform his breeder if the murmur is confirmed. This is crucial information for a breeder to know as s/he will not want to repeat a breeding if it has produced early onset MVD.

:)
When i got home yesterday i noticed that Monty's eye looked absolutely awful and gunky so i took him to the vet..and it turns out he has got a massive ulcer on his eye, anyway they thought about surgery but instead gave me antibiotics, drops, oral medication and eye oinment for him....while i was waiting the vet thought of having a quick listen to his heart and apparently Monty has a heart murmur ! She didnt tell me anything about it yet as she wanted to get the eye sorted out first then she would discuss the murmur....so im totally in the dark about how bad it is etc and am sooooooooo unbelievably worried...i mean he's only 2 year 2 months...is it normal to get one this early? i have no idea what the implications of this are or anything...
:( Hi my name is Steve. We have a little girl called Clover and she has a heart murmur grade 5 but she is OK with it.We don't take her for walks any more, maybe she whats to stay in with her mummy ( my wife). She is a black and tan and she is nearly 10.So worry not, Monty will be ok.
Steve

Steve (Clover) I wanted to thank you for posting. I know it is much easier to stay in the background and lurk-- but you saw someone who could benefit from your experience and helped.

...and as a B/T owner, it's good to hear from someone who owns an elderly BT.

Nisha, I'm thinking of you and your pair...

Geordie has an early onset murmur as well. The cardiologist originally told me to bring him in every 12-18 months for auscultation until age 5 or the murmur progresses.

Recently his murmur progressed, so the cardiologist did an ultrasound and would like to see Geordie in 9 months. They are keeping an eye on him, but he needs no medication yet.

Chocolate is nearly age 6, and her murmur is a grade 1. The cardiologist wants to see her every 12 months.

It's a shock at first, I know. I was upset when Geordie was first diagnosed, and again when I was told that his murmur had progressed. But he doesn't know anything is wrong, and we're just enjoying each day with him to the fullest. If anything, it makes me love and appreciate them more. :lotsaluv:

Last edited:
Hi everyone,

thankyou so much for your posts and words of comfort....ive been absolutely beside myself last night and today worrying about Monty...and the worst part is i have to wait like atleast till tomorrow to know any info about it! The vet wanted to deal with the eye first which is fair, but im so in the dark.....When we went in before and she thought she detected a murmur she called in the nurse and asked her to check his heart and after a few moments she was like "it sounds like a murmur"... so thats 2 people that thought it was.......Monty was pretty scared at the time so i dont know if that changed something and made them hear wrong, but i know thats totally wishful thinking...but as you said Karlin the vet couldve been wrong....when i go for the 2nd check up on his eye which is tomorrow evening i'll ask her again about it...

You like me having twins from the same litter (I think ?) may feel concern for your other baby aswell
that's exactly what im dreading that Milo would have it as well as theyre from the same litter..

Recently his murmur progressed, so the cardiologist did an ultrasound and would like to see Geordie in 9 months. They are keeping an eye on him, but he needs no medication yet.
ohh, i hope your baby is ok!

Anyway, On the good side im pleased to say that Monty's eye is healing well! (well to what i can see anyway)...He doesnt yelp in pain when i give him the drops anymore and its looking alot better....one good thing atleast.

Thanks for all your replies....i'll post what happens after Thursday..

~Nisha

Steve (Clover) I wanted to thank you for posting. I know it is much easier to stay in the background and lurk-- but you saw someone who could benefit from your experience and helped.
:dogwlk:Hi Nisha,
My name is Debbie, I am Steve's wife. I do not normally use a computer because I suffer with severe ME, but for the moment I will try to be of help to other Cavalier owners. Now then. I understand that your Monty has a heart murmur? Our Clover who is ten has the MVD murmur also. I have been treating her homoeopathically for three years and she is still going strong. May be you could locate a homoeopathic vet in your area who would be able to advise and treat Monty in a gentle way rather than having to rely on harsh medications from your normal vet. We give Clover Cretagus drops which are only available from a homoeopathic vet or sometimes from a homoeopathic pharmacy. She is also taking Co-enqyme Q10 daily. Both can be added to their food. We also highly recommend that our Cavaliers are not over vaccinated. Usually the first puppy jabs are all they need. Too many boosters can over stimulate the immune system leading to all kinds of health problems.

Hope all this is helpful. If you would like any more info. let us know.
best wishes
Debbbie, Clover and Susie.

Thankyou very much Debbie, i didnt realise they had homeopathic vets and all! i'll have to check that out..

Anyway i have absolutely fabulous news!! Today i went to the vet with Monty and he got the all clear for his eye!!!It has totally 100% healed, which the vet said was extremely lucky due to the serioussness of the condition...the vet that i had been seeing for his eye was not my usual vet (who is just excellent) as he had been on holidays, this was a new lady..anyway he came back today and after the lady vet finished up with his eye i begged him to check out Monty's heart...he listened for absolutely ages and the suspense was killing me...but! he told me that there was absolutely no sign of a murmur and that Monty has a good steady heart beat!! He said that it was possible that because Monty was so scared last time he came (which he was..shaking like a frightened mouse) it might had got his heart going and an irregular rythm and something else that i dont remember but anyway the vet probably heard wrong!! i am so over the moon about it! those last few days were so distressing and i feel a huge weight has been lifted...

so happy that (for now anyway) he's in great condition

thankyou everyone for your replies and help :)

Back