• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Nora, our Lucky Star Rescue is here!

Lynn

:rah:We have adopted a Lucky Star Rescue named Nora.:rah:

What a sweet 6 year old girl!! She arrived last night and is very scared still but seems to love Molly & Maxwell already. She has the biggest 'Doe eyes' and unfortunately there is a deep saddness in those eyes.

Here is her Lucky Star page:
http://www.luckystarcavalierrescue.org/page.php?name=Rescues&detail=yes&id=377

I THOUGHT I was prepared for how scared she was going to be coming to a new home, but I wasn't. She only had a month with her foster mum and she had 6 long years in a puppy mill.

If anyone has some advice on how to get a rescue to 'come' that would be so helpful! Last night we put Nora, Molly & Max out in the fenced yard to potty and play....then we could NOT get Nora to come to go back inside. We tried luring her with a cookie, she took it out of my hand, but was too scared to walk through the gate to come inside. It was super cold out and after close to a half hour of trying my dh & son had to corner her and pick her up. We hated doing it, but it was getting too cold and she had been outside too long by then. I do NOT want to have to corner her and force her to be picked up again unless it cannot be helped. Today is supposed to be extremely cold, so I will put her in a Puppia and keep her on a leash to take her to potty.

We are thrilled that our Nora is home.

I've never had a timid rescue, but this is what I would do :

When indoors, sit on the floor with some treats, so you are not towering above her, and let her approach for a treat. When she's happy with this, introduce the words ' Nora, come' as she approaches. Give her a treat and quiet praise for doing so.

Extend to sitting on a low chair, then standing. Then standing fiurther away.

Oh she looks like a sweetie pie, congratulations!

I like Barbara's idea, and your idea of keeping her on a leash outside.

Hopefully she'll come inside willingly on her leash. You could lure her with food while she's on the leash. If she doesn't go for that, I would try handing her a high value treat as I scoop her up to carry her inside.

I read her story on Lucky Star. Do you know how she was rescued from the Amish puppy mill? Was she bought at one of their dog auctions?

Those are really good ideas, I've had some Lucky Star fosters for a short time, and the best advice I got was to let them be. They need to adjust and feel safe, and will come around in their own time. Definately use a leash for the outside problem. I had one that wouldn't move off the couch. I even fed her there. She did go out , but came back in, and on the couch she went. She would let me sit there with her.After 2 days of this, I was doing work in my office at the other end of the house. I had a little visitor come see where I was, it was so cute.

First of all--that's so wonderful--she looks beautiful! We just adopted two Lucky Star boys two weeks ago today (Maguire & Crockett). One we couldn't get to go outside and one wouldn't come back in, but the suggestions you've already been given worked for us. The leash worked wonders--now I don't even have to use it. I'm learning it's just time and patience--letting them learn to trust. Your little girl sounds a little more timid so it might take a bit more time, but she'll come around. It'll be so rewarding watching her transformation!:luv:

I've had many scared, timid puppy mill dogs come into my rescue, and each one is a little different on what's needed to reach them, but love, time, patience, and good treats are a great way to start! If you can find a good trainer that uses positive reinforcement, that's also a great way to bring a scared, timid dog around. Another tip - as hard as it's going to be, do NOT pay any attention to her when she's acting scared. I know that sounds cruel, but it's only enforcing the behavior. What I do is when they're acting scared, I patiently wait for them to calm down, and as soon as they do, I give them a treat or a cuddle or what ever works for that dog.

Lynn, that's fantastic! She will also learn very quickly from the pattern of your own dogs -- she just needs to get to know them well enough that she is reassured by their presence. For now, as noted, I'd only take her out on a leash. I would not try training her to do anything for about two weeks at least -- she is overwhelmed as is and it is just too much I think to add in training right away. Tara usually leaves my puppy farm fosters to settle in for 2-3 weeks before trying them out to see if they know any commands, then starting gently to teach things.

Those are really good ideas, I've had some Lucky Star fosters for a short time, and the best advice I got was to let them be. They need to adjust and feel safe, and will come around in their own time. Definately use a leash for the outside problem. I had one that wouldn't move off the couch. I even fed her there. She did go out , but came back in, and on the couch she went. She would let me sit there with her.After 2 days of this, I was doing work in my office at the other end of the house. I had a little visitor come see where I was, it was so cute.

Nancy,
I totally agree with you.
If she's left alone, she will come around in her own time.
Years ago, my wife brought home an abused beagle, Pokie, and he hid under our chest of drawers for over a week. He didn't relate to anyone or anything. When he was ready, he started sneaking out of the room, poking his nose around the corner (hence the name).
I finally suggested to my wife that she take him outside (which she thought was a very terrible idea at the time). After around 10 minutes in the yard, Pokie started following Jody everywhere.
They bonded from that point on....
Pokie was never normal, but he was our little guy for years.
-It's so sad to see the impact abuse has on animals.

Congratulations! Bless you for giving such a sweet, scared girl a good home! :rah:

We have been talking about adopting a rescue Cavalier or a Cavalier needing rehoming. We even inquired about one on Cavalier Rescue USA, but she was too timid for our house. Since we have kids (7 and 9), and Daisy is VERY playful, we need a less fearful dog. We are in no hurry, but of course I check all the rescue sites online about 10 times a day. We are waiting for just the right dog who is a good fit all the way around. I do think Daisy really would be happier with a doggy playmate.

It sounds like everyone has great advice for you. I just wanted to congratulate you and ask you to post pictures! I know all the Lucky Star dogs by name because I hang out on that site so much! They seem to have lots of beautiful dogs in the NE lately. Every time I see one that I think I want to inquire about lately, it says they will place them only in the Northeast. So you're very lucky to be in the right place to get Nora! Are you planning on changing her name?

I've done a little transport volunteering and some short-term fostering for Lucky Star. They are such wonderful, devoted people! It's amazing the lengths they go to to help these dogs. It kind of restores my faith in humans knowing there are people like this out there!

Good luck to you and Nora!

When Freckles came i used a long training leash (20 ft.) when he was outside so he could get his running and still I'd be able to make contact with him. I rescued that leash from everything in its path as he spent days running as hard as he could-oh,freedom! I kept a leash on in the house (short one) or I couldn't get near him-he was so untrusting and straight from mill to ASPCA-no foster.

Thanks everyone! We all are so thrilled to have Nora here. Cathy asked if she came from a puppy auction...yes, from what I know, she was bought at an auction in Ohio. Daisy's Mom asked if we are going to change her name... no! I love her name! (finally a name that isn't 'the most common dog name' like our other two..."Molly" & "Max")

We had success this morning with keeping her on her leash in the fenced in area and by the third time outside she finally did a pee. I put a Puppia on her and will probably keep her in one most of the time.

She flinches when we touch her on her sides or legs. I think she has gotten used to people touching her back and head because the flinching isn't quite so bad. Somewhere I read that if we say 'up' every time we pick her up, she won't be so scared because she will learn what is going to happen.

Nora is highly motivated by food and got EXTREMELY excited when she heard us getting breakfast ready. She loves treats and we will do what Barbara suggested and sit on the floor and offer treats. She is asleep on the couch right now. I will do as Karlin suggested and not try to teach her anything for at least a couple weeks.

I kept her in her own kennel (soft sided with thick mattress) next to Molly & Max's kennel last night (which is also in our bedroom) and Nora could see me and the dogs all night. She did very well. I was worried about her being stressed having to be in a kennel, but she didn't seem stressed at all. This is good because in this house I want my dogs in a kennel at night. Should there (God forbid) be a fire, I want to know where they are so we can get them out. (our house is 160+ years old...fire is always a huge worry for me) Eventually I hope she will sleep with Molly & Max in their big kennel....but will take this very slow because today Molly isn't thrilled about having a sister!

Nora does seem happy being here because when she was exploring her surroundings this morning her tail was high in the air and waving side to side!

thank you all so much for all the suggestions! I have a feeling that this is going to take a whole lot of work, but she is worth it! My heart melts every time I look into her sweet face.

Aw, so glad her tail is up already!

She flinches when we touch her on her sides or legs. I think she has gotten used to people touching her back and head because the flinching isn't quite so bad. Somewhere I read that if we say 'up' every time we pick her up, she won't be so scared because she will learn what is going to happen.

Good - and you might want to hold a small towel or baby blanket around her sides when you pick her up, for extra padding, comfort and security.

Lynn:

I go to the Lucky Star site for visits quite frequently and I have to confess that I was drawn to Nora. She just looked so beautiful and sweet. Isn't if funny how we are all drawn to different dogs but Nora was one who captured my heart. When I read she was going to Maine with two other Cavaliers I wondered if it was you. Best wishes and good luck to both of you!

We have to be permitted to have three dogs where I live. I am not sure when it will be the right time for me to get a third one. It took me 29 years before I went from just one to two!! But I think I am going to go through the process so that "when" I find the right dog at the right time I will be able to proceed without having to wait for the process to be completed. (It is a one time $50.00 fee. There is a home inspection and they notify your neighbors like they would for a zoning variance. My dogs are very well behaved, are not barkers, do not poop in other folks yards, are walked only on leash, all the things you should do, so I do not think we will have a problem getting approval but I could not committ to a third dog without making certain that I would not run into a problem.)

Back to topic, tell Nora she has an admirer in West Virginia, and tell Max and Molly we will be proud of them when they learn to share.

awwww - how sweet.....:D

Pauline - you have to post a pic of Dylan in a towel asleep -I'm thinking September 2009 picture here!

Lynn:

I go to the Lucky Star site for visits quite frequently and I have to confess that I was drawn to Nora. She just looked so beautiful and sweet. Isn't if funny how we are all drawn to different dogs but Nora was one who captured my heart.

Me too Phyllis....the moment I saw her big doe eyes, she hooked my heart. There are so many cavies available right now from Lucky Star and Nora was the one who pulled at my heart. So, you'll have to come to Maine this summer and meet our Nora in person!

Cathy Moon: you asked if Nora came from an auction and I thought so....but after thinking about it for a while, I think Mary had actually told me that there are a few people that work directly with the mill owners and not through auction. Her paperwork actually states that another rescue group had her first.

Nora has a microchip but NOT one that lucky star put in...the previous owner did. Mary from Lucky Star thought that we could have another put in her and then she would have two....has anyone heard of this...or knows what we should do??? Nora sees our vet on Tuesday so I will ask about it then.

I posted photos of her in the gallery!

Thanks to everyone for all the nice & helpful posts!

Well done to you for taking her in and giving her the chance of a real home, I am sure with time she will become totally confident around you. Dogs have a great sense of who is going to care for them and who isn't!

Sending you big hugs for doing such a wonderful thing!((((HUG))))

Back