• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Frontline and Heartgard

Should Cavaliers be treated with Frontline Plus or Heartgard?

Frontline Plus- is a flea/tick control given topically down the spine by the neck. Where I live, I've never had fleas and I found 3 ticks last spring (none were attached, they were in the fur). Poison stays in the glands of the skin. I bought this, but I've never used it.

Heartgard-( also Iverhart)- a treat given that has ivermectin. It is a short term poison that kills the microfilariae. I don't give this year round (no mosquitos year round here). I DO a heartworm blood test yearly to check for microfilariae.

These are two of the safer parasite preventatives - Whether or not to use them should be dependent on where you live and the health of your pet.

I use FRONTLINE plus ALL year round......In NJ the ticks are all over all year....we get warm spells in the winter and the dogs come inside and I take off the dead ticks....the tick dies after it bites the dog.
Lyme ticks are ALLLLL over here.....I have been out of work since mid October with chronic lyme---I am now super vigilant about ticks.
I do not think it was a tick on one of the dogs that got me but a case of lyme a year earlier that was not treated correctly.
If you live in tick country....most states in the US have lyme ticks.....use the Frontline Plus. My friends pup contracted lyme and it was heartbreaking to see her look so lethargic and sad but she is fine now.

We use Frontline Plus year round, too. We live in Tennessee and although it does get cold sometimes, I don't think we can count on fleas outside being killed. I just want to do everything I can to prevent fleas. She has had a couple, always after we have had her on a trip, and I don't want to give them a start in the house.

I have always used Heartgard for heartworms (year round, although we don't have mosquitos in the winter generally), but my new vet recommended Iverhart Max, so next month is our first month on that. If anyone knows a reason why I should stick with the Heartgard over Iverhart, please tell me right away before I give her the first one on March 1. It makes me a little nervous to switch. The vet said that the Iverhart also kills tapeworms and that's the main difference. (At least I think it was tapeworms, it could have been some other kind.)

Daisy's Mom,

I just wanted to be sure that I was doing the right thing by treating Charlie McFarlie with Frontline +.
I contracted Lyme, this past summer, myself.
Maryland is a hot spot for deer ticks and unfortunately, I picked one up when I was planting bushes in my back yard.
Here is a picture of the tell tale "bullseye rash" often associated with Lyme.
The rash doesn't always appear and it doesn't necessarily develop at the site of the bite. I hope this doesn't "gross" anybody out. I just want folks to know, so they can get immediate treatment if they ever develop a rash like this.
IMG_1445.jpg

Actually that was a very imformative photo....seriously. I've never seen what it looks like...but now will know it if I ever see it.

I have both dogs on Frontline Plus (was feeling too comfortable in December and didn't use it....we are still working on getting rid of the fleas!!) and they will get it religiously every month. I thought we were out of flea danger because it had been so cool. Lesson learned.

Mine also get Heartguard monthly.

+1 on the heartgard, Cathy.
We cut back on the Frontline Plus one winter, but because the roller coaster weather, Charlie picked up some ticks. We now give it to him year round.

Back