• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

first time dog owner

kelly3

hi my name is martina .Ruby is my 10 week old blenheim she is a little beauty
I dont know what to do for the best whether to keep her on a lead while toilet training outside or just let her run around herself she will only go on the grass not on concrete . I have 3 children under 5 so i really want to keep the grass clean of poops so the kids can run around .

Hi there icon_welcome to the boards, I would think to begin with it might be easier for you to try and have her on a nice loose lead, just to guide her to where you want her to go, and lots of praise when she does, and just keep repeating things till she realises that area is for the toilet :D(y)

Hi Kelly and welcome to Cavalier Talk. Congratulations on getting Ruby! When we house trained Sally we let her out in the fenced garden without a lead. We always made sure we cleaned up any poops after she had been though to keep the garden clean. Let us know how you get on. You'll get plenty of advice from other members on here. Dont forget :snap:

thanks RJ and Shippers I will let you know how I get on.One more question should i buy a harness I heard its better for a dog ,more comfortable!or will i wait until Ruby has grown a little ,she cant go out for walks yet as we have to wait 2 weeks after her booster injection which will be in 2 weeks time.

Maybe wait til you are taking her for outdoor walks somewhere besides the garden (you need towait til about 10 days to 2 weeks after her final injections before she can be walked). Be sure to get a properly fitting secure harness as puppies are good at reversing out of them (and out of collars).

Back