Thread: Collar Question

Post Thanks / Like

Default Collar Question

What age can you start using a puppia? My puppy is almost 12 wks. and I haven't put a collar on him yet because we are potty training inside due to the bad weather. Should I start with an adjustable nylon collar first? Also, do you use a collar and a puppia at the same time? It looks like some of you do in the pictures you post. Thanks for your advice.

Post Thanks / Like

It's good to get them used to a collar, if only for a few hours at a time. Also a leash...On a milder day, just try the leash out, even inside, and don't pull them , make it fun with treats. I always had bucking broncos until I tried it this way and he took to it very easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually start leash training on a harness, since I find alot of puppies accept this quicker then a collar - But I also get them use to wearing a collar and tags, I never hook a leash to the collar that holds my dog's tags anyway - But that's just a personal decision! The reason for that is if I have a leash hooked to the collar the tags are on and my dog either jerks hard and breaks the collar, or happens to back out of the collar somehow - I've then got a loose dog with no tags on!!! If I either use a collar/leash combo, a seperate collar with leash attached, or a harness - If it breaks or my dog gets out of it somehow, it's wearing the collar with tags!!!!
    Mommy to Amber (B/T female born 09/2003 ) and Starlight (Tri female born 05/2008 )
    Also owned by 2 Italian Greyhounds, 2 Afghans, 3 Sphynx Cats, and 1 Ragdoll cat
    Missing Brandy (Rough Collie), Anabelle (Toy Poodle), and my other furkids across the bridge