• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Collar Question

Mom of Jato

What age can you start using a puppia? My puppy is almost 12 wks. and I haven't put a collar on him yet because we are potty training inside due to the bad weather. Should I start with an adjustable nylon collar first? Also, do you use a collar and a puppia at the same time? It looks like some of you do in the pictures you post. Thanks for your advice.

It's good to get them used to a collar, if only for a few hours at a time. Also a leash...On a milder day, just try the leash out, even inside, and don't pull them , make it fun with treats. I always had bucking broncos until I tried it this way and he took to it very easily.

I usually start leash training on a harness, since I find alot of puppies accept this quicker then a collar - But I also get them use to wearing a collar and tags, I never hook a leash to the collar that holds my dog's tags anyway - But that's just a personal decision! The reason for that is if I have a leash hooked to the collar the tags are on and my dog either jerks hard and breaks the collar, or happens to back out of the collar somehow - I've then got a loose dog with no tags on!!! If I either use a collar/leash combo, a seperate collar with leash attached, or a harness - If it breaks or my dog gets out of it somehow, it's wearing the collar with tags!!!!

Back