Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Reverse Sneezing

Post Thanks / Like

Question Reverse Sneezing

I've noticed Avery does the Reverse Sneeze when she's over stimulated about greeting people..... anyone else experience this?

Avery, being as adorable as she is, has never known an unkind person. Everyone stops to pet her and sweet talk her (don't get me started on what golf carts mean to her - oh boy, they remind her of one particularly doting individual and now she thinks ALL golf carts are affection dispensing machines) So, naturally, she views all people as friendly and wanting to give her affection and she really lights up when she see's people. Which is great... I'd rather her friendly than aloof. But, if she gets too excited then it triggers that reverse sneeze.

It's most common when we get out of the car at the dog park and start walking toward the entrance...... she just gets over excited at what's coming.... If it were allergy related I would expect it to trigger more randomly, such as when we go for walks, and it doesn't.....

I keep thinking she'd make a super therapy dog someday, then I think 'well, maybe they won't pass her b/c that reverse sneeze'. LOL.....

Post Thanks / Like

holly does this all the time! x
    Holly -Blenheim two and a half

3 ginger toms - Zippy Noah and Alfie

Post Thanks / Like

It's the same with Daisy. When we are going into the obedience class or Petsmart, or Petco, or.... Whenever she is very excited to meet people or dogs she starts in with that reverse sneezing. It's kind of embarrassing. I always think that people think she's sick or something and won't want her around their dogs (or kids or themselves.)

Post Thanks / Like

LOL. Glad to know we're not alone! It is kinda embarrassing....We get some funny looks too from people that don't know what it is...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Libish View Post
    LOL. Glad to know we're not alone! It is kinda embarrassing....We get some funny looks too from people that don't know what it is...
    I still haven't figured out what the heck this is. I guess that means Mika doesn't do it.

Post Thanks / Like

It can look quite disturbing - often the dog will sound (and sometimes look) as if it's choking. Some dogs get really upset and frightened by it, whereas others just carry on as normal. It doesn't actually sound like a sneeze at all, it's more a wheezy sound, I think.
    Holly - 7years
    Amber- 3 years

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's a distrubing sound and they suck their tummies in really tight and spread their legs apart kinda far and seem like they are choking. They aren't, but if you don't know what it is, that's the first thought that comes to mind. Then, 20 seconds or so later and it's gone.....

I've been told to pinch her nose to stop it, but that doesn't work for Miss Avery.... so I just tell her she's ok and wait it out...

One of my close friends is a vet and she says it is physiologically like a backwards sneeze... thus the name.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep -- Pickles does it too and I really don't know what's going on but a knowledgeable friend of mine told me about the "reverse sneeze" so I just go with it and it always passes.

Once Pickles did it when she saw another doggie and the other dog freaked out when she did her reverse sneeze. I guess he didn't like being snorted at.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Libish View Post
    Yes, it's a distrubing sound and they suck their tummies in really tight and spread their legs apart kinda far and seem like they are choking. They aren't, but if you don't know what it is, that's the first thought that comes to mind. Then, 20 seconds or so later and it's gone.....

I've been told to pinch her nose to stop it, but that doesn't work for Miss Avery.... so I just tell her she's ok and wait it out...

One of my close friends is a vet and she says it is physiologically like a backwards sneeze... thus the name.
    What we have always done is push the dog's nose down so it points at the floor and hold it that way for a few seconds. Have you tried that? I know some people plug the nose while doing this, but it works for us without plugging the nose. People we know call it the "Cavalier Snort".
    Bruce
    MysticKnight Cavaliers

Post Thanks / Like

I rub the dogs' throat - always works for Cazy and for my 1st Cav, Misty, who used to be a pro at the snort!
    Proud member of The Spaniel Trust - putting the trust back into spaniels.
    A Charity registered in Scotland SC038987