• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Is Dottie part Billy Goat???

hbmama

Dottie LOVES to eat grass when she is out in the backyard playing. :eek: (We don't use chemicals or fertilizers on the lawn thank goodness), but I wonder, why is she doing this? :confused: Is this something that our little furballs just do or is she trying to tell me that she wants salad in addition to her gourmet meals?

i have read/been advised that dogs eat grass to induce vomiting as its a natural emetic, also that if your dog is constantly eating grass it might be a good idea to check with your vet as it may be a sign of a tummy problem.

my two eat grass occasionally as do the cats but none of them do it that often that i'd be concerned by it.

Hmmmm, she seems bouncy, happy and healthy, and has never vomited or acted sick since I've had her. Also, her stools are firm and perfect in every way :rolleyes:. I will certainly watch her, but do you think she might be sick without showing any overt signs? :confused:

she sound's fine, especially if she's eating, pooping and happy and active otherwise.
maybe someone else on here can advise you better,
do you have an advice service at your vets?
we can have free health checks with a vet nurse at ours and its enough just to put your mind at rest without having to see the vet and of course they'll refer to the vet if need be.

Daisy did this (a lot) last summer when she was sick and wouldn't eat anything else. She would often vomit, but not always. After many many vet visits (ultrasounds, barium series, blood tests, etc.), she finally got over the anorexia and doesn't eat grass anymore either. One vet said not to let her do it because it just makes her sicker and less likely to eat. So every time I let her out for a few weeks, I would have to go out there and stop her from eating it over and over. I don't know if the grass-eating was a cause or a symptom, but it was definitely tied to her being sick that summer in some way. They finally just called it gastroentiritis after they could find no other cause. That's code for "her stomach hurts and her digestive system is messed up, but we don't know why."

Our other dogs in the past have done it very occasionally and it didn't seem to have any effect on them.

I think dogs eat grass because they like it. seeing my lot grazing in the sunshine made me think the music mnemonic ,for notes ACEG, 'All cows eat grass' should be 'All cavs eat grass'.

Isabelle eats grass whenever we are outside. It does not make her sick, and the vet said as long as we are pesticide free I should not worry about it. Wild animals eat grass all the time.

Larinda

I've had dogs all my life and all of them have eaten grass. I've only seen them vomit a few times over the years...in fact, they have puked way more often after eating their own food. Dogs seem to enjoy grazing. I wouldn't worry about it unless Dottie is throwing up a lot.

Back