• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

When to switch to 'adult' food??

Barba

Hi everyone,

I know this is a probably a really stupid question but when do you stop feeding your dog puppy food and switch to adult? At what age are they no longer considered a puppy?

Also Charlie has very bad stinky wind/gas. Is this because of his food? He's on Red Mill.

Thnks

I don't use a puppy food. I use an all stage food Canidae mixed with Timberwolf. I haven't heard of Red Mill, so I am assuming you aren't in the USA.

How old is Charlie? To be honest, I'm not a big fan of puppy foods, I generally recommend finding a really good high quality kibble and stick with it throughout the dog's life - If you're puppy isn't doing good on a puppy food, I'd switch to a high quality adult food and see if that makes a difference! I'm not sure what country you're in - Before I switched my dogs to Raw, I fed Canidae Chicken and Rice, and seldom had a problem!

Sorry, he's 5 months. He seems to be going off the Red Mill now though, he's losing interest in it.

We fed Sally James Wellbeloved (JWB) puppy food until she was 6 months old then swapped to Junior JWB until she was a year old. She is now on JWB adult and we mix a bit of Naturediet moist food in with it or a bit of home cooked chicken and veg and she loves it. I don't think it really matters whether you use puppy food or not as long as it is high quality food.

Most Cavaliers have reached their adult height/size by 7-9 months of age, puppy varients of any diet contain a higher protein level as puppies grow incredibly quickly, it is reckoned that if a human baby grew as quickly they would be the size of a 13 year old in the same time frame!! (Spooky eh!!)

I have always maintained that what you feed a dog for the first year of it's life, shapes it for the rest of it's life, this is not time to skimp on QUALITY feed!

If you think your baby has reached his adult height/size then move him (slowly) onto Adult variety, some puppies do reach adult height/size ahead of others, but make sure it is a QUALITY feed! HTH??

Red Mill does different qualities of foods. I think their premium foods look very good but they are not generally the ones in the shops. They are mostly available to breeders.

If he is having a lot of gas I'd try changing his food -- generally I recommend James Wellbeloved, Royal Canin or Burns (adult, not puppy) as easily available from good pet shops in Ireland.

Thanks for your replies. I went out and bought Royal Canin on Saturday. He loves it!!:p

Back