• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

luxatting patellas and stuff

Isabelle

So here I am getting ready to go for Isabelles second knee surgery. The first one was when she was 1 year old. Now at 5 and half, she is getting to the point where her other knee is out of position so much I can't stand it. The orthopedist this moring graded her at 3.

My only issue is the quote for the surgery was over 1K MORE than I paid 4 years ago. I can't believe that the cost has risen that much. Some maybe, but not that much. Also I live in a different state, so I can understand the price variations... But really ONE THOUSAND dollars difference???? :eek:

So, does anyone know of a recommended surgeon in the Boston area? I am so new here and no one I know can give me a recommendation, other than my vet.

Larinda

That sounds very high -- I would contact a few places and get quotes. I had thought single knees are usually more like $400-800 in the US. At the same time it is good to go with someone who really knows this surgery.

Here in So Cal I paid $1500 for one knee 3 years ago. We used a board certified surgeon.

Sorry you're having to go through this...again.

Pippin's one knee was done this past October for $1100, which included optional bloodwork and all follow-up visits for 3 months. Buffalo is definitely cheaper for everything, than Boston.

I just want to wish you luck with your search :flwr: The right surgeon is priceless ;)

I ended up getting both patellae done together this past summer, so I am no help with the prices.. but Charleen, did the $1100 cover the initial X-Rays too?? :eek:

I paid $3000 for both knees but I live in a mega-city .. but Kosmo's initial X-Rays w/the blood work were over $500 :eek: .. Thank God I have insurance!

Wow, I am sure this topic has come up recently on one of the breeder discussion lists and prices were a lot lower than that for the east coast, but maybe it was elsewhere.

Sorry you are having to face surgery with her again, but that is a ridiculous price you have been quoted, :xfngr: you can find a reputable surgeon at a more reasonable price!

Just a quick question on this. We bought Petplan Gold insurance so most would be covered if this ever came up. But I am curious about this patella problem in the breed. Since the greater majority of you all have gotten your cavaliers from very reputable breeders who xray and check back a few generations on orthopedics in their breeding stock, do the knees and hips seem to go out regularly anyway?

Since Dottie was kept back for show, our breeder even had her hips and knees xray'ed and they came back solid with no inherent problems. Even so, as they age, is this something that I have to watch for and worry about just because she is a cavalier?

Originally I paid 1500. The quote from the other day was 2500, PLUS I had to pay for the consulatation (200) AND I would have to pay for each check up after the surgery. As I tried to make other appts to get quotes I was told I would be paying for the initial exam, and eventually would eat up any money I was likely to save.

I finally just called the surgeon in CT who did her first knee. Made an appointment for a consult and surgery on the same day next week. I will drive and hour and half just to get a surgeon I am happy with at a price that is not stupidly high. Plus all follow up visits are included.

What on earth would drive a price so high as what I found in the suburbs around Boston?

Originally I paid 1500. The quote from the other day was 2500, PLUS I had to pay for the consulatation (200) AND I would have to pay for each check up after the surgery. As I tried to make other appts to get quotes I was told I would be paying for the initial exam, and eventually would eat up any money I was likely to save.

I finally just called the surgeon in CT who did her first knee. Made an appointment for a consult and surgery on the same day next week. I will drive and hour and half just to get a surgeon I am happy with at a price that is not stupidly high. Plus all follow up visits are included.

What on earth would drive a price so high as what I found in the suburbs around Boston?

Perhaps greed?

Just posting so I could share another price. Our surgery was $1,500 in July 2006. This was just the surgery and the related stuff, including two follow up visits. I had two consults with the surgeon before surgery and they were each ~$120. We didn't need to do xrays since there was a clear problem with his patella. We also chose to do formal rehab with Spencer with a holistic/rehab vet and that was even more than the surgery. All told it was about $3,700.

India's patella surgery cost us $800-$850 three years ago.

Hbmama, in some cases it is an actual knee injury, not a structural problem the cav was born with. India had a torn cartilage, and her ligament/tendon didn't require repositioning. Usually they don't know the cause until the surgeon goes in.

florida surgeon

We just had one knee done 2 days ago and it was 1,200 or so.....There are only about 2 ortho surgeons in our whole area and so we had very little choice, but I think that was a reasonable price from what I've read here.

luxating patella

I guess it is probably too late, but did you try GlycoOmega joint and connective tissue support? We were making plans for surgery when someone from a Cav forum suggested we give it a try. It was amazing, I never expected it to help so much! The luxating patella went away and he never got the surgery. We still give it to him everyday to keep his joints in good working order.

Have you tried Tufts Veterinary School/Hospital in Grafton? My parents have a Cavalier and live in MA and they take him there. They are very impressed with the Hospital and the vets they have seen. Not sure what the prices would be like, but it has a fabulous reputation!

We will be taking Molly in on Tuesday for her first surgery. I'm a bit worried, but our surgeon is charging $2000.00 (Wash DC) which includes surgery, x-rays, follow-up, but not blood work.

He recommended 2 knees at the same time, cost $2800.00 but we opted not to do it.

Maria

Back