Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: luxatting patellas and stuff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Isabelle View Post
    Originally I paid 1500. The quote from the other day was 2500, PLUS I had to pay for the consulatation (200) AND I would have to pay for each check up after the surgery. As I tried to make other appts to get quotes I was told I would be paying for the initial exam, and eventually would eat up any money I was likely to save.

I finally just called the surgeon in CT who did her first knee. Made an appointment for a consult and surgery on the same day next week. I will drive and hour and half just to get a surgeon I am happy with at a price that is not stupidly high. Plus all follow up visits are included.

What on earth would drive a price so high as what I found in the suburbs around Boston?
    Perhaps greed?

Post Thanks / Like

Just posting so I could share another price. Our surgery was $1,500 in July 2006. This was just the surgery and the related stuff, including two follow up visits. I had two consults with the surgeon before surgery and they were each ~$120. We didn't need to do xrays since there was a clear problem with his patella. We also chose to do formal rehab with Spencer with a holistic/rehab vet and that was even more than the surgery. All told it was about $3,700.
    Spencer and his mom, Whitney

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

India's patella surgery cost us $800-$850 three years ago.

Hbmama, in some cases it is an actual knee injury, not a structural problem the cav was born with. India had a torn cartilage, and her ligament/tendon didn't require repositioning. Usually they don't know the cause until the surgeon goes in.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Default florida surgeon

We just had one knee done 2 days ago and it was 1,200 or so.....There are only about 2 ortho surgeons in our whole area and so we had very little choice, but I think that was a reasonable price from what I've read here.
    Annie

Mom to Maggie
    Born 11/15/06

Post Thanks / Like

Default luxating patella

I guess it is probably too late, but did you try GlycoOmega joint and connective tissue support? We were making plans for surgery when someone from a Cav forum suggested we give it a try. It was amazing, I never expected it to help so much! The luxating patella went away and he never got the surgery. We still give it to him everyday to keep his joints in good working order.

Post Thanks / Like

Have you tried Tufts Veterinary School/Hospital in Grafton? My parents have a Cavalier and live in MA and they take him there. They are very impressed with the Hospital and the vets they have seen. Not sure what the prices would be like, but it has a fabulous reputation!
    Holly, Oliver, Rosalita, and Scarlett

Post Thanks / Like

We will be taking Molly in on Tuesday for her first surgery. I'm a bit worried, but our surgeon is charging $2000.00 (Wash DC) which includes surgery, x-rays, follow-up, but not blood work.

He recommended 2 knees at the same time, cost $2800.00 but we opted not to do it.

Maria
    Mom to Molly. Who I absolutely love.