• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

9 month old stud?

Eeva

Saw this advert on the net

[link deleted for legal reasons]

Are they really used as studs at such a young age? I'm horrified.

It's considered totally unethical to use a dog before 12 months anyway and in this breed it should be 2.5 years and heart clear with heartclear parents all cardiologist, not vet, certified. Nine months in any breed is shocking. :mad: I cannot believe a trash breeder is charging that amount either. You can get a puppy from a reputable show breeder for those prices. If she is breeding with KC reg she is violating their ethics rules and could as far as I know, be reported.

I am afraid I have deleted the link however as I do not want it posted publicly -- but am happy to PM it to anyone interested.

Hmm, many years back it was considered "normal" to use a promising young dog at stud by the time he was a year old, a process known as "proving" the dog (I.E Proving he is fertile) The reasoning on the whole was that if you use a dog whilst he is still around a year old it is easier to train him for use at stud, make him more accepting of being handled and to allow you to "help him out" so to speak!

However with the current research and recommendations etc this is no longer really a way forwards, dogs need/should be health screened at the appropiate ages to be certain that they cannot pass anything on to a litter of puppies that is detrimental to the breed as whole:

From the Parent Club code of ethics
Part C: DOGS TO BE USED AT STUD

1. No dog which has a known physical defect that could be detrimental to the health and well being of the offspring or the breed in general is to be used at stud. By way of guidance, dogs under 5 years of age should hold a current clear heart certificate. A current clear eye certificate is strongly recommended. More specific guideline's apply to MVD.

The guide then goes on to advise about ascertaining ownership of the bitch at time of mating, overall health of both dogs at time of mating etc, etc.

Now we move onto the Guidlelines to reduce the incidence of MVD in Cavaliers

"THE STUD DOG"

should preferably be two and a half years old with a clear heart, and with parents with clear heart certificates, issued at 5 years of age or older.

These are the minimum recommendations

To use an older stud dog with a clear heart cerificate issued as late in life as possible is highly desirable.
However, an older dog with a slight murmur should not be ignored

I would be very interested to see the full details of this young lad being offered at stud, please PM me the details Karlin??

there is another young dog being advertised EVERYWHERE at stud, they say he is a show winner from the well known kenmillen lines ,LOL & available to unregistered & crossbred bitches :(

When you look into it his "show wins" are for prettiest puppy, best coat etc at companion shows.

Back