Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Knee and hip problems in most cavs????

Post Thanks / Like

Bowing of the bones can also be caused by a nutritive deficiency.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy patella surgery

Maggie is home recovering from patella surgery and I am losing my mind.....no jumping up on the couch or walks for 6 weeks.....only out to potty and back inside....what a total nightmare and I will never ever ever buy a pet store puppy again !!!! The poor baby is miserable right now and trying to keep her calm and from jumping up on things is going to be a lot of work !!
    Annie

Mom to Maggie
    Born 11/15/06

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by maggeroni and cheese View Post
    Maggie is home recovering from patella surgery and I am losing my mind.....no jumping up on the couch or walks for 6 weeks.....only out to potty and back inside....what a total nightmare and I will never ever ever buy a pet store puppy again !!!! The poor baby is miserable right now and trying to keep her calm and from jumping up on things is going to be a lot of work !!
    The recovery from patella surgery can be exhausting...but you can do it. I promise you that you will get through this. I think the thing to keep in mind is that the surgery is 92% effective. So once Maggie is better, she's all better. You get into a new routine within the first several days. I went through 8 weeks of recovery only to find the surgery did not hold, had to be repeated, and another 8 weeks of recovery. But we got through it. And we were all doing the happy dance when Shelby got her final release. Unfortunately, we've now found out, 3 years later, that the surgery again did not hold. But we're dealing with it and she's not in pain.

You learn how to manage her. We kept Shelby on a short short leash any time she wasn't in her x-pen. We had set up an x-pen in the middle of the family room for her to stay in. When she wasn't in the pen or in her crate she had a leash on. When she sat on the couch with us we kept the leash up tight so she couldn't jump down.

Hang in there. It'll get better.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Casey, my tri, has a littermate who required double knee surgery by age 16 mos. As you all may know, I was "tricked" into purchasing Casey when I showed up to adopt a 2 YO adult Cavalier and they "changed their mind!" and told me at the door..."but look at these adorable puppies instead!" A scam???? I think so! But thank goodness I got her, I would be lost without her!

They were Irish puppy mill imports (we think!) although the breeder still claims that is NOT the case. They have not had any problems with her joints since, and it has been 4 years.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I should add that my toy poodle had luxating patellas, so it DOES run in the toy breeds.

I opted not to have her operated on as they were not bad when she was younger, but did get worse as she aged.
    Trisha in Southwest Florida
    Cavaliers: Casey, Ollie, & Winston and usually a foster or two! Cats: Pebbles & Benson