• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Freezing Semen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingstonsMom

Is freezing semen a common practice among breeders? I noticed on a cavalier website that the breeder was advertising "frozen semen available" from their stud dogs.

a women i work with breeds blue terriers and does all the health checks and she got frozen semen to use on her dogs and both had lovely puppies!!

Is freezing semen a common practice among breeders? I noticed on a cavalier website that the breeder was advertising "frozen semen available" from their stud dogs.

Breeders seem to either hate it or love it. The issue becomes does the stud dog owner guarantee any live pups when the life span of the semen is now so short. Natural breeding viability is up to a week, fresh chilled is usually up to a couple of days, frozen I was told is measured in hours.

Can you pm me the website? Cavalier breeders seem to be resistant to this trend.

I see you are in the U.S. Here in the UK with us being a smaller country etc, etc... it is fairly easy for us to travel to the stud dog, however in the U.S this is not quite so easy so breeders will offer AI options if necessary.
Personnally speaking (Plus being UK based!) I have not used this avenue of breeding so cannot comment really, but do know it is a common practice in the breeding of top class racehorses. Why should we deny ourselves the opportunity to use top class bloodlines I wonder?? Especially if a particular dog is a top class representative of the breed and has passed all health checks?? Of course if the dog in question is of a lower, Ahem, Quality, then this is a totally different "bottle of pop" as we say!!

I do know of a breeder who had a top class stud dog whose career was cut short due to his premature death, she deeply regretted having collected from him when she the opportunity. Most sad as he was a hugely influential stud dog who is behind many top winning dogs today.

Interesting..............

Can anyone give an update to this breeding option. How long dothesemen live once they are put ona carreir to be shipped to breeder. What is cost to buy chilled semen from a top notch stud dog?

Hi:

Welcome to the board. :) We don't actually allow discussions that promote personal breeding on the board, and the board is generally closed to breeder membership as it is primarily a pet owner board (see the Getting Started section for appropriate discussion topics and why we don't allow personal breeding discussions here -- as you can see this is a pretty old thread) -- but the short answer is, unless a person is a reasonably well known, bona fide show breeder, there is probably no way anyone with a top stud dog is going to ship semen on a general basis. And top show dogs get top stud fees so frozen semen would be priced accordingly.

Of course, if you need more information and are a club member, and a health focused, health testing breeder whose affix would be known to other breeders, then you can easily get more detail on such topics from your regional breed club and other fellow breeder members -- we wouldn't have the answer here. (y)

If you are a breeder, however, then I'd suggest finding a different discussion board more suitable for such dicussions -- there are several with a high level of breeder participation. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back