• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

episodic falling

vicarrieous

Can anyone tell me more about this? I have heard this quite a bit relating to Cavys and I am trying to learn as much as possible about all areas for my little Kip. I know that Cavys are prone to murmors and bad hips/knees but I am not to familiar with what this entails.

THANKS

MVD-- early onset mitral valve disease is in this breed. It starts with a mild malfunctioning that results in an odd sound in the heart (murmur). It is graded 1 to 6. A grade one is most mild and a six you can hear with your ear. Most women over 40 have a mitral valve murmur. It can progress quickly or slowly. Many dogs that have an early onset murmur can live full lives. FWIW many small breeds have murmurs-- some early. Breeders are trying to push the age of the early murmurs to a more normal small dogs time table.

SM-- syringomyelia is a disease that may be prevalent in cavaliers. This is a life altering disease

Patella problems are common in small dogs. It can be hereditary or enviromentally caused or exacerbated. This can usually be treated by supplements or surgery.

HD--I don't know how 'common' it is in the breed. I have heard of cavaliers that have it- but I haven't seen any that their lives have been affected by it.

Here is a website on episodic falling-- I have heard about 10 cavaliers that have been diagnosed with this.
http://www.episodicfalling.com/

Back