• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Healthy treats and how much?

hbmama

I enjoyed reading the "glutton" thread and got a chuckle out of some of those posts. Dottie is not that food obsessed, at least not yet. In fact, she is more interested in ripping up toilet paper rolls and killing her "hide a squirrel" over and over, than eating her breakfast. :rolleyes:

She couldn't be less interested in her breakfast kibble, so I tried adding little chunks of apple, carrot, or a bit of cottage cheese or scrambled egg to jazz it up. She just picks what she wants out, and then leaves the rest.

She adores green snap beans and banana, and occasionally some apple chunks or grated carrot. What other fruits or veggies do your pups enjoy as healthy treats, and how much can be safely given each day?

Mine enjoy most fruits and veggies. I puree a whole bunch of fruits and veggies (no salt added canned beans, spinach, peas, broccoli, carrots, squash, apple, blueberries, sweet potatoes, zucchini) and freeze it in ice cube trays. They get a "veggie cube" with their dinner.

Wow, Cathy! What a fantastic idea!! A great healthy treat and fun food for the dog. I LOVE IT!!! Thanks so much! Will try this out tomorrow.

Mine enjoy most fruits and veggies. I puree a whole bunch of fruits and veggies (no salt added canned beans, spinach, peas, broccoli, carrots, squash, apple, blueberries, sweet potatoes, zucchini) and freeze it in ice cube trays. They get a "veggie cube" with their dinner.
We do a similar thing.:rolleyes: Mixing up different colours of veggies and above and below ground ones. Much the same as we humans should do for a balanced diet. I use my juicer, then take the juice and the pulp and mix it all back up in the blender. I was using ice cube trays, but have gone to baggies for meal sized portions.

Only problem is the amount of washing up!:mad:

As dogs get older, they don't need feeding as frequently. teddy, the hoover, has never refused food, so it was up to me to cut his mealtimes to suit me, but both Izzy and Joly , at only 12 weeks began to leave some of certain meals. Although it's usual to give puppies little and often, the vet said that they were telling me what they wanted, so cut the number of meals, but make the remaining ones a little larger. Perhaps your dog wants one meal less ?

Back