• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

question on behavior

we luv lexi

does anyone know what this means?
lexi sleeps in the bed with us, and when she wants to wake up she does the normal dog-licking-your-face-thing. but if we just lie there awake without actually rolling out of bed, she comes and puts the bottom of her neck/chin over our faces. And if we move our face to the side(to breathe!) she shifts herself real quick to cover our face again. we think its hilarious but is this a negative thing? is it dominance? or does she just want to make sure we dont go somewhere and leave her behind? hahaha

Our dogs don't do this when they're sleeping with us, but a few of them do it when they first jump up on our lap if we're reading or watching TV. We always thought they did it because we "zurbit" them on the neck when we're playing with them. Maybe it's just a Cavalier thing. We have never seen any harm it it; when we have had enough, we just push them down.

I wouldn't worry about it Murphy quite often puts his chin across my neck if I'm lying down(ofter sneaking a kiss at the same time:))

we "zurbit" them on the neck when we're playing with them.

Haa, haa it's funny to read someone else who 'zurbit's' their dog, my boy goes CRAZY when we do this:lol:

Elja does this all the time.I dont think its a dominance thing,rather a HOW CLOSE CAN I GET thing:)She is not a dominant dog and knows her place very well.
Silva however is rather dominant but she thinks it is enough to just kiss your face:)

hahaha
thats funny that all the other cavies do this too.
its true, she really does see how close she can get. If i yawn i sometimes get a surprise by getting a whole lexi nose in my mouth, experiencing the yawn with me!!!:yuk: hahaha :rotfl:

I think its a cavalier trait - both my boys do it - they try at the same time sometimes:) I don't think they realise that if they suffocate mummy there'll be no tea!

Armani likes to be up by my face too when I relaxing in my chair.

Blackie, my 6yr old cat, loves to sleep right by my nose or on my face if he can during the night sometimes. It's his only time he can roam the house w/o having dogs chase him. :winkct:

Pippin does this to us when he wants us to blow on his chest and make funny noises..YES,I must be mad!

cavalier hug

Yes, this is a cavalier thing. It used to be called a cavalier hug. I personally thing that the dogs do this for the "gotta get close" feeling already mentioned, but I also think, at least with my girls, they sometimes do it to try and get attention from the person who is otherwise ignoring them. Holly does it the most to us now, with Cedar coming in second. Willow, who likes to shield her head, prefers to annoyingly lick to get attention.

I like to think that Shelby does it because she loves me....truth is I think she's trying to smother me so she can have my pillow!! ;)

definitely a cavie thing...

Both of mine did it, more so as puppies. However, my older Cav started doing it again after I had a baby so I think it truly is the "close as you can get" thing since she was feeling left out a bit.

So funny that they all do it! :p

Ruby does this, especially to my father-in-law. She also does it to people when she first meets them, which sometimes doesn't go over so well! She has smothered my father-in-law since she was tiny, but she only does it to me or my husband on occasion. My husband's best friend is visiting us right now, and she adores him. She tried to lay across his face for most of the evening last night (must to his chagrin!) but eventually settled on just resting on his lap. It's really funny to watch, and we've taken pictures of it.

None of mine do that on the bed, but Sonny will get right up into my face when he first comes up for a cuddle. I think he does it because he loves me, but if he is trying to dominate me then :rotfl: I'm not scared.

Jaspar has always done this with people he really likes. He does the 'hug' and tries to smother your face. :lol: None of the other three do this though Leo and Lily are manic face lickers. Lucy is far more reserved and polite.

Funny - Mika does this with my son whenever he lays down on the floor, but has never done it with me. Then is morning (after I read this thread last night), she got out of my bed to say good morning to my son who was up early, then came back to bed with me. Once she was on the bed, she came right up and laid across my head, face, neck. It's like she knew I read this thread.

Back