• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chewing paper-help!!!

So I have a 13 month old cavalier who is the best doggy ever. He is very obedient, was potty trained after one month when we got him (at 3mths) and we do agility together now. He is pretty spoiled and normally comes to work with me so hes only left alone on average maybe 2 or 3 times a week for just a few hours here and there when I absolutely can not take him with me.

When we first got him and left him home alone we did the whole puppy playpen thing for about 3 months and then started leaving him in the sectioned off kitchen and front room area.

Well he is normally great there...we leave him with lots of toys and he has two cats to keep him company. He doesnt bark when we are gone or display any other sort of seperation anxiety.

Except if any sort of paper (scrap, books, magazines, bills etc) gets left out he will destroy it EVERYTIMe into a million pieces.

My question is (sorry finally after that novel!!!) : what can we do to stop this from happening? and is there any chance that we will be able to eventually let him have free run of the house? I would like to not have to lock him up but at this point I cant make sure there is no paper anywhere in my whole house everytime before I go out.

Thanks so much for anyone who is still reading this and thanks for any help!!!

-Stephanie and Brodie

Pippin will not tear magazines from the rack or the table but if he finds them,tissues, or any other paper anywhere else even the waste paper bins,he will steal it and tear it and eat it! Mine have the run of the kitchen stairs and landing when I go out and all paper is out of reach...hope this helps. By the way he is not a puppy,he is 4 years old!

I live by this rule: Anything I value is kept out of my dogs' reach.

Most of the time they leave things alone, but every now and then Geordie will chew a magazine if he can reach it. Then I know it's my fault because I slipped up; he's just doing what comes natural to dogs.

My pups are what I call professional paper shredders... anything paper left in their reach and it ends up in 1,000 pieces. I think it is in their blood because everyone I know with Cavaliers, has the same problem. And they like to leave it right in the walk way- probably thinking that they left you a present.

Dogs love paper-it's so much fun to chew and shred. Each dog can have their favorites as Chickabee who feels shoestring tips were meant not to exist. Think all things important to you need to be put up where they cannot reach them esp. when they're alone and bored and seeking new fun. kinda like having a perpetual toddler.

I echo what Cathy said about keeping anything you are concerned about, up and out of reach. Dottie doesn't care anything about magazines or books (when I am around) but loves to go hunting for used tissues :yuk: from the trashcan or open purses, and shred empty toilet paper rolls. From what I have read here, it must be genetic. I am always following little trails around the house!

None of our waste paper bins can be left on the floor as Barney will stick his nose in for tissues and scraps of paper! Last week I found him shredding a fiver! ( thats about 6 1/2 Euros or $10- lol) Managed to stick it back together though!
Our last cav wasnt bothered by paper at all and never destroyed anything. Theyre all different!

Murphy's not too bad, he doesn't raid bins, but if it's within his reach he's usually away with it. We lost some pictures of my O/H when he was a boy through our carelessness:eek:

He's weird, sometimes he'll not touch something we've left lying, other times it's gone:rolleyes:

He even ate my contriception pills, that was a panic I tell you, one of the cats must have knocked them down of the unit

:)Both mine love to raid the wastepaper bins, hence I have put them out of reach ;). Magazines are a favourite, especially the RTE guide, it gets shredded every week, sometimes before I get to read it :lol:. Sometimes they get old bills and bank stuff, which they shred :rolleyes: which can be very useful before putting into the bin;)

Miles is a paper chewer, too. Any type of paper (newspaper, magazine, regular paper) that is left out will be completely shredded if he's left alone. he leaves the paper strewn across the front room, so it's the first thing I see when I walk in the door - I think he's actually proud of himself! :rolleyes: I'm just thankful that that's all he chews! Knock on wood, I don't want to jinx myself! I hope the new puppy is just as well-behaved :xfngr:

yep I have a wastebasket raider too. I ended up buying covered wastebaskets for both bathrooms.
Yesterday he tore up one of my pillows on the couch! :eek: Once again hubby was sleeping and this was done right in front of him. He said Armani was laying on him sleeping too, I guess he was done with his nap and then got bored :mad:

yep I have a wastebasket raider too. I ended up buying covered wastebaskets for both bathrooms.
Yesterday he tore up one of my pillows on the couch! :eek: Once again hubby was sleeping and this was done right in front of him. He said Armani was laying on him sleeping too, I guess he was done with his nap and then got bored :mad:

Sorry but I just had to laugh when I read this:)

My Brea likes to chew fabric - esp. flannel. I told her she must be part mouse, b/c she likes to chew holes in the baby blankets she has. Funny thing is she doesn't chew HER blanket - just everybody else's!! :)

Sheri

Our Rio is the same. This morning I got up to get ready for work. Dad takes the dog out in the early morning. He gives the dog a treat after his walk and what did I find but little white bits of paper all over the floor. A stray tissue must have fallen out my Dad's work overalls :p

He also knows how to open the pop up bin in the bathroom. He puts a paw on it, knows it flips up and takes out tissues ! :p

Cavs are weird for paper shredding indeed !

Laughing at the antics of all the paper lovers. We have 2 that LOVE to eat and shred paper. Our Spike has taught all the fosters to pull the paper off the toilet paper roller too. We have to keep the bathroom door closed all the time. He also loves the newspaper and always the last chapter in any book you happen to leave within reach.:p

Paper is a good fun thing to rip up for doggies.... so is toilet paper. I also live by Cathy's rule that anything I don't want chewed up does not get left laying around.

:)

Its strange but Alfs has started to get to the post first and destroy.But i blame my self as i do tease him with the paper.And he loves to help me make the fire,he often takes out the paper from the fire place and tears it up,so i am to blame.

Both my Cavs are paper shredders...

I just picked up 1000 pieces of a napkin that my 2 YO son must have launched off the table this morning at breakfast. Fun stuff! I don't think there's a cure for it. If there is, I haven't found one yet. My oldest is 5 and I caught her shredding my son's juice box carton yesterday.

One more thing...about trash cans

Every trash can in my house must have a tight-fitting hinged lid or else I will have shredded paper all over the place! :eek: They have figured out how to get into the swinging lids!

So I have a 13 month old cavalier who is the best doggy ever. He is very obedient, was potty trained after one month when we got him (at 3mths) and we do agility together now. He is pretty spoiled and normally comes to work with me so hes only left alone on average maybe 2 or 3 times a week for just a few hours here and there when I absolutely can not take him with me.

When we first got him and left him home alone we did the whole puppy playpen thing for about 3 months and then started leaving him in the sectioned off kitchen and front room area.

Well he is normally great there...we leave him with lots of toys and he has two cats to keep him company. He doesnt bark when we are gone or display any other sort of seperation anxiety.

Except if any sort of paper (scrap, books, magazines, bills etc) gets left out he will destroy it EVERYTIMe into a million pieces.

My question is (sorry finally after that novel!!!) : what can we do to stop this from happening? and is there any chance that we will be able to eventually let him have free run of the house? I would like to not have to lock him up but at this point I cant make sure there is no paper anywhere in my whole house everytime before I go out.

Thanks so much for anyone who is still reading this and thanks for any help!!!

-Stephanie and Brodie

I can't help you. One of ours loves to pull down the toilet paper as soon as we turn our backs. And, any money that falls on the ground, forget about it :)

Back