Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scooting

Post Thanks / Like

We have only had two or three very short "scoots" since we got our pup. She has nice solid stools and doesn't seem to have any obvious problems down there, but, at what age should I expect to start having the glands expressed, and is it monthly?
    Marianne
    Mom to Dottie, and our precious rescue, Claire-Bear

Post Thanks / Like

From what our vet told me its not "breed specific" it can happen to any dog and in his opinion is irrespective of diet.

If your dogs are scooting at all I would just get them checked out, if you don't get them emptied if they need it then they can develop an absess which he told me is really really painful. Most cavaliers shouldn't need it doing it isn't a matter of course and our eldest has never scooted etc. He told me to bring Rio in whenever I see him scooting or biting his rear end.

You also need to be aware that worms can cause scooting so it is vital that worming treatment is kept up to date.
    Proud to be owned by Ashton and Rio

Post Thanks / Like

You should be able to tell if they need it done. Alfie scoots all the time and you can tell he is not himself. If I didnt have him done every 10 weeks they would become impacted as his do not empty as they should. Our vet said it is more common in spaniel dogs. I think it is only bad for them if you have them emptied when unecessay but a must if they are prone to it.
    Yvonne

Mum to Harvey (blenheim) & Alfie (tri)xx