• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Scooting

Cavvygirl

Rio does this alot and this morning he scooted the entire length of my utility room!:eek:

He is completely up to date with worming treatment and I asked my groomer how to see if his anal glands needed emptying and she said that if I gently felt either side of his bottom then there would be a lump either side if they needed emptying but there isn't!!!

He tucks his tail under himself quite alot and always when he is sat down his tail is underneath him! He does this when he growls at Ashton if he comes near his food.

He is quite nervous sometimes and he can cower and tuck his tail underneath him when you put his lead on etc its quite upsetting but I put it down to nerves and we have been working on it...does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks

I have to have Alfies anal glands emptied once every couple of months and he starts to scoot all along the concrete in the garden when its due. Even when they are full up we cant feel anything, just the scooting and he will try and lick his rear a lot. He has us in hysterics when he starts to scoot as he looks at you and can go round and round in a circle. We have to be very watchfull as last time we left it for about 12 weeks and they were very full and painful for him and we are worried they may become impacted. The vet has now prescribed granules to bulk up his poo as she says this may help.

If the anal glands get impacted they can become infected, which is why they need to be kept a check on.

My brothers Cocker kept having the same problems with scooting, in her case the anal glands had filled up with air and where stopping her going to the toilet.
Once hers were empty, natural took it course and she empty her bowels, unfortunately she was still in the vets waiting room at the time. :eek:

This video gives some good info, shame they are using a black dog as its hard to see the area she is talking about.

http://www.expertvillage.com/video/8453_dog-grooming-basics-glands.htm

Thanks. He goes regularly to the toilet and is fine apart from the scooting but I will get him checked over on Monday. The other issue is just behaviour which is no problem to correct. I was just confused as the groomer gave me a bit of a lecture about how alot of people get the glands emptied when they don't need to!:rolleyes:

Well he had his glands emptied today by a really good vet who explained it all to me (i even got a diagram!:eek:), he said that its really unusual to get them like that at only 5 months old and that fingers crossed it would be a one off but his experience is that often dogs who have this problem always tend to suffer with it!

If dogs are growling when being fed I would as a matter of urgency, start feeding them separately, in crates. This isn't really a correction issue -- it is normal for a dog to be defensive around its food with another dog invading its space, and another shouldn't have the freedom to walk over while one is still finishing -- it's a recipe for an eventual fight and ongoing problems. It is different if the dog growls at YOU -- that is a training issue. But dogs should be kept safely separated and confined during feeding if there is even the hint of a problem as t can easily escalate and contribute to the anxious dog developing more severe resource guarding problems.

We now "police" feeding times to prevent this although we had been advised that Rio was well within his rights to growl if Ashton went near his food. :confused:

I appreciate what you are saying and we would always intervene if we thought there was the chance of a fight. Ashton doesn't seem to be bothered with Rio's growling when he goes near his food bowl but obviously for the reasons you have mentioned we wanted to put a stop to it.:)

Would you feed them in their crates?

Kingston scoots occasionally, but then he'll go for weeks without scooting. I thought I read that it's not good to have their anal glands emptied. Is this something I should be doing????

We have only had two or three very short "scoots" since we got our pup. She has nice solid stools and doesn't seem to have any obvious problems down there, but, at what age should I expect to start having the glands expressed, and is it monthly?

From what our vet told me its not "breed specific" it can happen to any dog and in his opinion is irrespective of diet.

If your dogs are scooting at all I would just get them checked out, if you don't get them emptied if they need it then they can develop an absess which he told me is really really painful. Most cavaliers shouldn't need it doing it isn't a matter of course and our eldest has never scooted etc. He told me to bring Rio in whenever I see him scooting or biting his rear end.

You also need to be aware that worms can cause scooting so it is vital that worming treatment is kept up to date.:)

You should be able to tell if they need it done. Alfie scoots all the time and you can tell he is not himself. If I didnt have him done every 10 weeks they would become impacted as his do not empty as they should. Our vet said it is more common in spaniel dogs. I think it is only bad for them if you have them emptied when unecessay but a must if they are prone to it.

Back