• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Weird Bark Post Neuter?

sannie

hi folks, I've a strange one to put out there to all...I finally picked up the courage to have Max neutered on Wednesday morning (only 2 1/2 years late) and he seems fine, a little bit swollen and red but wound looks well and for the most part he's leaving it well enough alone.

But I wondered if anyone else has experienced this side effect...you see Max is a barker, barks at everything only now, when he barks or tries to bark it turns into a screech/howl - like he's in tremendous pain.

Yet he seems fine in other ways, he's up and down off the bed and sofa, he's peeing and pooping fine, he's trotting around as I speak with the obligatory sock in his mouth, it's early days I know, and his stitches won't be removed for another week.

I'm wondering if because he gets a bit excited when he barks that perhaps he's hurting himself a little bit? Is that possible?
I'd hate him to lose his 'bark' - Is that possible?

Has anyone else had experience of this.....???

many thanks
sannie

he probably has a sore throat from the breathing tube used during surgery, he'll be back to his usual barky self in no time

Yes thats what is probably is- the tube thing. Barney was a little hoarse after his surgery too !

Agree on the breathing tube.
Digby has a sensitive throat and has at times had his bark alterred from things, at one time I tried to feed him a chicken neck when he was a puppy and he decided he would try and swallow it whole to my dismay so I gently pulled the neck from his throat as he was starting to gag after this he lost his bark for about two weeks it sounded really squeeky when he tried to bark poor thing must have had a little damage done :(
No more chicken necks or bones for this little tyke Oh and he has absoloutely no problem barking now :eek: and rather likes the sound of his own voice.

Little Max has been on my mind - how does his bark sound now? Is he back to normal?

Hi Cathy, yep, I think all the posts were correct, he probably had a sore throat, hadn't thought of that. He's barking again and does still sound like he has a bit of a sore throat, his bark is more growly and deep! (if that makes sense). But not the horrible squeal like before.:paw:

Back