• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cat & Puppy Trouble

Mom of Jato

:( My 7 yr. old female cat is not too pleased with our new puppy. I have baby gates up so the puppy is contained to the kitchen and family room- the cat has the run of the rest of the house. I thought this would be OK, but the cat (female) keeps coming up to the gate and hissing at the puppy (male) for no reason. He doesn't even seem to care about her. He gets scared and backs away- I guess letting her know she can be the boss. Has anyone else experienced this, and did it get better over time?

When we got Miles (Cav), he was 3 months old, and we already had 2 cats that were 3 years old. They adjusted much faster than we thought they would! Kayla (cat) was not scared of him at all, and actually started playing with him after a few months! She would always put him in his place if her started chasing her or got too personal with her. Hailey (cat) took awhile longer to get used to Miles, and she still doesn't like him, but she definitely tolerates him. Neither cat is scared of him. We NEVER let Miles chase the cats or bark at them - he know that they're the bosses! :c*t::c*t: We just got another puppy (another Cav) a few weeks ago, and the cats barely seem to notice - they're all getting along really well.

I think your cat will just need some time to get used to having a dog around. Ours were never around dogs before and they adjusted to the puppy very quickly. I think the most important thing is to teach your puppy that the cat is never to be chased or barked at, then the cat will feel more comfortable and hopefully accept the new puppy faster. Good luck! (y)

My cats were appalled when I brought home our cavalier but after about one month, they all settled in and they tolerate one another very well.

It's early days yet. I think there's a good chance they'll get along.

There's a whole section on cats and cavaliers in the Library, I think under Caring for your Cavalier.It takes time -- months, often -- for a cat to adjust to a puppy and the interactions need to be managed to keep both safe. There are some great recommendations from the links I have there.

I have four cats living happily indoors with four cavaliers. The main ingredient is patience and making sure the cat feels safe and secure (generally controlling the dog carefully as it is the dogs which generally disrupt and create anxiety for cats not the other way around. But a scared or annoyed cat can easily remove a dog's eye or seriously damage it so hence the need for proper, responsible management of introductions and mixed households (y)).

It took my two cats about 2 months. Now they play with each other and, believe or not, my cats trained both my lab and cav to clean them, well, at least the ear area. Lance also plays tag with one of my cats. So, yeah they will adjust. Just give them time. My oldest cat, now 10 yrs was an only pet for 5 years before I introduced Duke (lab). At first it was touch an go and they both had to negotiate their territory. Once that was settled, they decided to ignore each other for about 1-1/2 years. And only after Duke calmed down (not a puppy anymore) did my cat "allowed" him to clean him. Obviously a dominance thing. On occasion I find them sleeping together - though rare. Anyway, be patient and be fare with both by avoiding favoritism and you will have a happy family.

i have 3 cats and worried when i got holly. They didnt like it at first but soon got used to her and knew she wasnt a threat.
A year down the line, they all get along great, even sleepp together and go up to her for rubs/cuddles!:luv:

Back