• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bentley has a murmur

BarbMazz

I had both boys to a clinic near Columbus, Ohio today. Thankfully, little Clancy (18mos) is just fine... no eye problems and his heart is excellent.

The cardio heard a mild murmur in Bentley's heart, and a clicking sound. Bentley is 4yrs, 4mos old. On the sheet, the doc noted:

1. Auscultation reveals a soft (grade 1 or grade 2) murmur at rest.
2. Systolic; mitral valve area
3. Abnormal cardiovascular exam indicative of acquired myxomatous mitral valve disease

I expected this because of the click heard in his heart at OSU last July. At that time no murmur was heard, just the click. The doc explained that nothing need be done at this point, and to have him checked each year. He told me things to watch for; abnormal panting with light exercise, and coughing. He said that once the murmur reaches grade 3 it is recommended to have an echocardiogram done, and then medication is usually prescribed.

My poor little Booper :( He is the one with the most health things. He is such a sweetheart, and I love him the most of my four (probably shouldn't say that!). I was hoping his heart would stay fine for a bit longer than it has.

I'm so sorry you've had disappointing news today. :( Please give little Bentley an extra hug from us. Thinking of you. :hug:

Poor Bentley. It is always good to know, so that you know what to look for and to take the best care you can of the little guy. :paw:

Thanks, Cathy and Charleen. It was disappointing, but not surprising. It IS good to know for many reasons, and one of the most important being a reminder to love them as best you can each and every day!
:lotsaluv:

Absolutely - it makes us love them more, if that's possible.

I felt a sinking feeling when I was given Geordie's diagnosis; all that knowledge about MVD in cavaliers didn't quite prepare me for that. The same with his SM - it took the wind out of my sails for a couple of days.

But then I looked at his cute little face and how happy he always is in the moment! I decided to be more like him - enjoy every minute I have with them.:flwr:

Absolutely - it makes us love them more, if that's possible.

I felt a sinking feeling when I was given Geordie's diagnosis; all that knowledge about MVD in cavaliers didn't quite prepare me for that. The same with his SM - it took the wind out of my sails for a couple of days.

But then I looked at his cute little face and how happy he always is in the moment! I decided to be more like him - enjoy every minute I have with them.:flwr:

I know exactly what you mean about that sinking feeling, because that's how I feel.

Right now Bentley is enjoying a bully stick (sitting on my bed, of course!) and he's staring at me the whole time and it goes straight to my heart. We have a really special bond, and I know it's partially due to his health issues. He is so happy and especially when he is with me, or can see me from across the room. Even when he's not feeling well he's such a sweetie-pie.

So, I'm just like you... I've decided to be more like him and enjoy every minute I have with him! But, just for today, and maybe tomorrow I will still have that sinking feeling.

So sorry to hear this.Big hug to you and Bentley
668904buj3406kha.gif

I went through the same thing with Graham, we're going for our 6 month check up next week. I was told in October by a prominent cardio at the CKCSC specialty he had a 3-4 which really scared me because he had nothing the year before. My vet said it's not that serious, but we're going to watch progression. I also started giving coq10, taurine, and lcarnitane supplements which all support the heart.
Nancy

Back