• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

hernia

shan

my molly has a small bubble on her tummy had a little hernia as a baby pup breeder told me about this and that it had cleared her vet had provided cert to verify this now this morning saw little bubbleon tummy rang breeder she said it is just fatty tissue and not to worry it should clear it self as she grow molly is thirteen weeks should i be worried anyone have the same problem let me know:(

When we got our Maggie she had exactly the same problem. It's nothing to worry about!!! Our vet removed it when she was neutered. Now she is just fine!

Hi!!

OK! An umblical hernia is NOT the end of the world!! Your dogs breeder brought this to your attention when you bought her, she was up front and honest about it (MANY aren't!!) speaking as a breeder I am in all honesty totally puzzled by the scaremongering that surrounds an umbilical hernia!

In laymans terms an Umbilical hernia (of whatever size) is basically as follows, when a puppy is born there is a ring of muscle surrounding the umbilical cord, this closes over as the cord dries up and withers away in the same way it does in a human baby. There is a school of thought that says that a bitch who tugs and pulls on her puppies cords at birth will induce a umbilical hernia! I say Codswallop!! If this is the case why have I had litters born via C-Section who have had umbilical hernia's???
Basically an umbilical hernia is a small area of weakness within this ring of muscle that allows some fatty tissue through (this is the "bubble you can see) if you can push it back and it "pops" out again then the muscle behind has NOT closed up, if you cannot push it back again then the muscle behind has sealed up. This is a situation that is easily remedied with surgery if the hernia is bad enough and can be easily done at the time of a routine spay.

Now an inguinal hernia is a totally, different and potentially life threateningly different bottle of pop indeed.................!!

Given your baby is only 13 weeks old I feel you are panicking a bit un-necessarily in all honesty!!

Lastly you ask about coat change after spaying?? In many cases the coat does indeed become, coarser, drier and more fly away than previously, this has always been my particular experience with both bitches and dogs. HTH??

Hi Shan
aactly
I totally agree with all the comments , my little Rosie has one in the same spot and her breeder informed me as soon as i collected her and on her first trip to my vet he said exactly the same and he will sort it when shes speyed , she started her first season about two weeks ago,very light only a bit of spotting, so rosie will be speyed in app 13 weeks and her hernia will disappear.

One of our cavs had a hernia as a pup. Have no fear. It was a quick fix at the vet's at the same time we got her spayed.

Back