• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Spaying - Advice re extras??

bellacherie

Bella is 14.5 weeks old and will be spayed at 6 months.

I called the vet this afternoon who told me the costs:

$220 Spay
$41 microchip
$81 bloodwork profile
$44 fluid therapy

Does anyone know how beneficial the bloodwork and fluid therapy are?

The nurse mentioned they were optional extras.

Thank you :dogwlk:

my vet also offered the bloodwork as extra - i declined as i was advised that if the dog is young and in general good health that bloods are unnecessary as they are looking at liver and kidney function - which are not usually a problem in young dogs.

i think most young dogs get by without the need for fluids and blood tests

my vet also offered the bloodwork as extra - i declined as i was advised that if the dog is young and in general good health that bloods are unnecessary as they are looking at liver and kidney function - which are not usually a problem in young dogs.

i think most young dogs get by without the need for fluids and blood tests

I would agree-- but I am not willing to find out that my dog has a hidden health issue this way. I also use it as a healthy bloodwork up for that individual dog

Bloodwork is also done to make sure the anesthesia used is safe for that dog. Most deaths under anesthesia are caused by reactions to the anesthesia that would typically have been picked up beforehand by a blood panel, I understand. Good vets usually will do a blood panel before neutering as best practice. Risks are low, but it all depends on whether the death of a dog is a risk that is worth saving $81 for and how low you feel that risk to be. I'd talk in detail with your vets to decide what you feel comfortable with.

A pre-anesthetic workup is critical before any surgery. This consists of a thorough physical by a veterinarian and often includes a blood test and urinalysis. In some cases, X-rays and an electrocardiogram are recommended.

These tests are necessary to make sure there aren't underlying medical problems such as kidney or liver disease, diabetes or chronic infection that would put the patient at greater risk during surgery. Also, the tests help the surgeon determine the best type of anesthetic procedure to use.

Back