• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Won't sleep in her bed

eimear

The day before yesterday i got up to find my 8 month old puppy, Ruby, sitting outside her crate on a blanket she had pulled out of it. She would usually be asleep when i get up but she was wide awake and sitting up. It was the same this morning. The crate is still big enough for her and i tried changing the bedding too but it didn't work. Normally when i tell her to go into her bed she does really quickly but she wont now. Any ideas on what could be wrong with her. She also barked for about 15 minutes when i put her into bed for the night which she doesn't normally do.

I'm not sure I understand -- is she crated (with door closed) and if so, how did she get out?

If she is barking it is likely because she is getting old enough not to be happy to be left alone and is trying to make that point to you! If you want her to stay in the crate at night you could close the door and ignore her barking. If you respond it will just reinforce for her that barking is a successful strategy and gets your response and attention. If she is in an enclosed area anyway that is safe -- it doesn't really matter whether she sleeps inside or outside the crate, probably? I wouldn't worry about it. Just ignore the barking and let her settle.

Thanks, I leave the door open in case she really has to go to the toilet, which is very rare now thankfully. Last night i took her for a really long walk and that seem to tire her out so there was no barking at bed time. She still wont sleep on her bed, she pulls her fleece blanket off it and is lying on that. I was just concerned it was a sign of something. Could it be that she's in heat? She's my first dog so this is all new to me.

What size crate does she have? And does she have a crate pad in it? I'm wondering if the crate is big enough for her to stretch out in. My cavs take up lots of room when they sleep.

It's the medium sized one, she has plenty of room in it. She's definitely in heat so maybe she'll go back into it afterwards. I'm not too bothered if she won't though because I rarely close it anyway.

Back