• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Curious? - How did you choose your girl/boys name??

I love reading these!!

Bought books and wrote names on a piece of paper on the fridge for two months. Saw him and just knew.....he was a Jake!! Not a very original name :) but it fits him to a tee!!

Shelby was easy. She's named for the Julia Roberts character in Steel Magnolias....my favorite movie and my family is from the South. Dare you to try to say "Shelby" without a southern accent!!:)

I too have heard a lot of Daisy's - in fact my best friends dog is Daisy. To me its a lovely name and it was interesting someone posted they did not like human names and I am the opposite I like human names. I did not name any of my dogs they were all named for me but I found it difficult to get used to Pebbles! But I have now and she actuallu does look like a Pebble!:)

Well our "Ashton" is named after Bristol City's football ground:rolleyes: (husbands choice!) But it really suits him as it sounds rather posh and he is very posh!

Our "Rio" was a shortened version of his mothers name who is "Rioja" and he really suits his name too!:)

What a fun thread!

Ok before we got Cleo we had a long think about what we would call a dog. We decided on Herbie for a boy after Herbert Asquith, a former British Prime Minister who Mark thinks was great, or Cleo after Cleopatra, Queen of the Nile as we both love Roman history and wanted a regal sounding name. Cleo suits her perfectly and she has turned into a right princess!! :luv:

Suki was a name i kept in my head for a long time before i got a dog - i think it came from the song 'polly put the kettle on' - it was nice to read on someone else's reply that it may also mean 'Love'

Ralphie was nearly a Barney but it just didn't suit him, also i thought that the name Ralph went well with Suki and the rest is history.

Our cats were supposed to be boys until a trip to the vet put us straight they were originally Bart after Bart Simpson and Felix but after their gender was determined they became Bart-Bart and Fifi

'Beauregard' was Jean's idea... it seemed like an awfully 'big' name since he was soooo tiny when we got him. But it seems to fit him now. :p

The breeder was calling Elvis Elvis because of his cowlick... and it was goofy enough that we kept it. Also easy to distinguish which one we're yelling at. ;)

We named the Saints Marshal Dillon and Miss Kitty. I thought that was kinda cute. At least for him. It probably scarred Missy for life. :D

Good thread, well we had alot of time like everyone else to be thinking names. We had pick of the litter, so we didn't know boy or girl. The litter was due on July 4th, so we immediately started thinking along those lines.

I still like the original name some days, but the kids wanted to change it before we picked her up from the breeder. I bought a lot of thought into her original name, but eventually I was the only one left liking it the best. For 3 days, the new little girl didn't have a name. Hubby kept calling her biscuits and still does!

Finally, we went with Liberty Belle. Belle, from my favorite Disney movie of Beauty and the Beast and she just loved ringing the bell to go outside. Her call name is Libby and that is what the kids call her.

Samwise is obvious: named after the faithful hobbit friend (who also had red hair) in my favourite book and movie, Lord of the Rings. It took me ages to decide on it though, because I knew I'd end up shortening it to Sammy, which seemed too human.

Now he is absolutely a Sammy and I can't imagine how any other name would suit. It's certainly more him than 'Michael', which was what the breeder named him :p

Buddy, our Cavalier, was named by my brother Michael. Regardless of their name or sex, he has called every dog we have ever had as a family "Buddy" or "Little Buddy" rather than their actual name. When he got to pick out his own little dog, I told him he could name the dog "Buddy" but only if he promised to stop calling Hadley "Buddy" and call her "Hadley." He ageed and Buddy is "Buddy" or "Bud-Bud" and "Hadley" is "Miss Hadley."
Hadley, our Clumber's name, is just a name I liked and is the named after the road on which her breeder lived, the first wife of Ernest Hemingway or a pottery, depending on to whom I am telling the story!

I just love reading these. Its so interesting what you all say and the thinking and thoughts behind the names:)

After our MS died, I started thinking of names so I made a list. When we got Tracer, I showed my husband the list. One of the DJ's on the radio is Tracy but they called her Trace. I thought that was a great name so added it to my list while on the way to pick out our MS. That is the name hubby picked out! I thought to make to more manly, we'd call him Tracer ;)
We got Armani when he was 6 months old. I still had my list from before and was planning on picking out a different name. Hubby thought that it was bad to rename him since he did answer to it. The breeder named him that because he looked classy - like the Armani suit!
I kept thinking it was a mouthful but gradually got use to it, the older grandkids had a tough time saying it at first too. I was planning on shortning it to Army but when my 2 yr old granddaughter started calling him Mony, we thought that was too cute! So sometimes he's called Mony, when he's not called the devil dog! (He's always looking for trouble!!):eek:

Lovely thread, and wonderful stories behind the names too!

Obviously it would be hugely long thread if I mentioned ALL of my dogs, but I think the best story has to be Logan's! A lot of people seem to think he is named after the old film "Logan's Run", nothing could be further from the truth! :lol:

I had been up all night with my favourite girl Charm who was in labour with her second litter, much huffing and puffing, panting, digging, quick sleep, more panting and digging, I was passing time watching "X-Men" the movie on DVD. About ten past six in the morning, I had yet another "quick look", a mere 2 minutes since the previous one, you can imagine my disbelief to see a beautiful Blenheim puppy happily latched on, cord and afterbirth still attached and Charm with a blissful look on her face! :luv: (They generally Yell when the first pup is born!) the puppy was big (10 ounces!) I picked it up and dealt with the cord, the hairs were standing up on the back of my neck as I turned the pup over to see it was the boy I had so fervently been hoping for! (His Dad threw far more girls than boys, the rest of the litter were all girls)

In the background I could hear the movie still playing, it was at the bit where Wolverine has been asked what kind of a name is that, "The name's Logan" he replies, Wolverine was always my favourite in X-Men so Logan was duly named after him!!

Hope you enjoyed that?? :p :p

Picking names is really hard for me! I always want the "Perfect" name..

With Kaids i love the drawn out AYYYYYD sound, like in lady, but eveyone in the family realy disliked Lady, plus its quite common. So after playing with it for awhile i come up with Kaidie. My other choice was Maggie, i like that for some reason.

I was cleaning my car when we come up with Shami, she was so fat and soft and fluffy, its spelled different from the car cleaning Chamy(oise) I think it sounds sweet.
Mia already had her me, i hated it and could have easily changed it as even tho she was 1 she'd had so little contact she didnt even know it, but it grew on me.

The cat got Max, as i wanted something tough and manly...going to be my prize mouser.
The name that gets the most comments tho is the Mini mare, she's "Suzi Hot Legs". If you seen her little legs going flat out (trot is flat out for her!) you'd understand.
I would love to bring home a ruby or blen boy, so im trying to think up a toughish, classic name..no luck yet!

names

This is a fun thread.

Our first cavalier was named Gizmo. I think that's a pretty common name for dogs. We named him that because we had heard a story that Steven Spielburg (sp??), when he was trying to get the animators to understand what he wanted as his good gremlin in his movie "Gremlins", he ran and got his cavalier. He held up the dog's ears and said, "I want my character, Gizmo, to look like this."

Gadget, our second, was named Gadget because of Gizmos and Gadgets. (Well, it seemed funny at the time). Toby, our first rescue kept his name when we got him and it was a good name for him--a straightforward name for a straightforward dog.

Sasha was harder. We debated for a long time but then picked this name because it was a little different and because our last name is Alexander and Sasha is a diminuitive for Alexander in Russian.

Wyatt, our most recent rescue, came with his name and we kept it. He had been named by Lucky Star and we liked it.

Margaret

p.s. For our cats, we had a long haired black cat named Zap. She was named after Frank Zappa. And our siamese cat, Ming, was named after our favorite Chinese restaurant.

Naming

Hi

Our Cavalier is called Brinkley( after the dog on you got mail it just stuck with me).The breeder called him Lord Busby which i and he didnt like at all.I think he likes Brinkley,he very happy pup anyway:)
I had picked Daisy for a girl............

When we first starting researching the breed we liked the Ruby colouring (actually love them all now!) and the song 'Ruby' was always coming on the radio and became our secret code as we didn't tell our daughters we were getting one until the morning we took them to see her.Then we saw our little girl and fell in love and colours didn't matter so we now have a tri called Ruby! and we love her!

Our Cav was given to us by a friend.
(He was purchased for my friend's daughter, but the wife would have nothing to do with it.....)
Anyway, when he arrived, he already had his name- "Charlie".
I thought he was too special to have just a first name, so he is now known around our house as "Charlie McFarlie".

I've already posted this picture, but it is my favorite
Charlie.jpg

Hello there! I'm new around here, but I wanted to jump into this thread--it's been so interesting.

I met my partner when her Cavs were 5 years old, so I didn't get to help naming them. One was [Breeder name] My Fair Lady, who she called Eliza. At some point it became 'Eliza Jane' and then eventually just Jane. Who knows how that happened. And her little boy's name was Fawkes. That was the name the breeder had given him, and it suited him so well. Unfortunately he passed away in January, but we'll be giving his name as a middle name for our new puppy (when we get him.)

The new puppy will be Thomas. Just because it sounds so gentle and dignified to me. I wanted Magnus but I know that's a tough one to nickname (and I nickname everything *g*) so Thomas it is.

Here's a photo Thomas at 3 weeks. He's the chow hound on the left.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/36849878@N00/2318745976/in/set-72157604068260628/

Last edited:
We chose our baby's name the moment we found out it was a boy....Wrigley! My husband loves the Chicago Cubs and they play at... Wrigley Field! Oh, and as a side note, Wrig's best friend down the street is Comiskey, who was named after Comiskey Field (the old name of the place the Chicago White Sox played at)!

we named poppy because her moms name was daisy and my mom loves the name poppy so we named her after a flower like her mom.

treva was called that because my little sister wanted a black dog called treva

alfy was already called alfy and we was going to change it but then decided not to, just change the spelling.

Back