• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Missing Testicle?

Mom of Jato

Just brought my little guy home from the vet- he had to get his 3rd puppy shot. He is now 14 weeks and weighs 7.5 pounds. The vet is still having a hard time locating one of his testicles, and said when I get him neutered it will be a bit more of a procedure- bigger incision. My breeder said that cavaliers sometimes take up to 6 months to drop, but my vet said that if they don't drop by 10 weeks, they usually don't. Do any of you have info. on this?

They are both right... usually they are down by at least 12 weeks. BUT- I'VE actually seen dogs that came down after 6 months. But their offspring can have issues. fwiw

An undescended testicle has a significant risk of eventually becoming cancerous so this is why they are always removed. They have to go in and find the testicle which can be anywhere in the abdomen so the neuter becomes more like a spay and is more involved.

It might drop by the time he is ready to be neutered then it will be a normal neuter rather than the more involved procedure.

Like Sandy I've heard three months as being the framework within which they will usually drop if they are going to drop.

Lucky had 2 undecended testicles. I kept waiting for them to drop and they never did.

Sandy's info above also corresponds with what I was told - they usually drop very young, but can drop later.

Lucky had both of his removed at about a year (I read the cancer risk is 13x as great if they are not removed ... can't recall where I read that though).

In any case, Lucky had the surgery to remove them and the incisions were much bigger and the recovery time a bit longer. But he came through it just fine and I'm sure your little guy will to if his doens't drop. :)

My Pippin had an undesended testicle as with you I got a 10 week deadline from the vet an anything up to 6 months from the breeder.It never did descend and we had him neutered at 1 yr.It was a long scar as it was way up.. and it looked huge because he is quite small,but he recovered quickly and has never had any problems.Don't worry too much and see what happens in the next few months.

I notice that 2 of you had your boys neutered at 1 year of age- I thought they were supposed to get fixed at 6 months. Does it matter? My breeder won't release his registration papers until I show proof of the surgery.

I notice that 2 of you had your boys neutered at 1 year of age- I thought they were supposed to get fixed at 6 months. Does it matter? My breeder won't release his registration papers until I show proof of the surgery.

I usually suggest that with males people wait until they are a year old to neuter. That way their growth plates are closed (or nearly).

The timeframe for neutering is a very personal one and you will find lots of differing views. For example in the US, it seems more customary to neuter young than it does in Europe.

If Lucky hadn't had the undescended testicles that might have dropped, I probably would have had him neutered younger.

Back